Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

.44 Mag for hog?

Old 09-28-2018, 04:28 PM
Spike

I should have mentioned it, but I am not planning on hunting for trophy so headshots or other shots are fine, and I am not planning on firing anywhere past 50 yards, considering the thick brush in Ohio. And doing research, I read that we don’t have very large hog here, I was mostly drawn to .44 because of the abundance of ammo to practice with, and I can find it anywhere, along with a lighter weight rifle, making to easier to walk with during a deer hunt. I thank you all for your opinions, and I’ll be trying to make up my mind with this information, thank you!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The truth of the matter is, how many times do you shoot your 45-70 except for making sure it is on target and when you kill game with it. I shoot Hornady Lever evolution ammo, it cost more than Winchester or Remington, but I do not think it is expensive because I do not shoot a box a year and neither do most people. It would cost a lot more to get set up in reloading for it than t costs me to buy factory and the factory is more than sufficient.
I like to practice. I enjoy shooting, and I try to be a better shot. I have already fired 20 45-70 this year. Not unusual to fire 100 or more 30-06 in a fall. Not the type to put it in the pie plate and call it good.

I do realize many people don't practice and kill deer. They wear dirty clothes in the woods and kill deer. I realize it happens. They may be breathing through there nose, I dunno.

As for leverlotion, I prefer big metplates. But I have never been shot so I can't say for sure.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Necro
I should have mentioned it, but I am not planning on hunting for trophy so headshots or other shots are fine, and I am not planning on firing anywhere past 50 yards, considering the thick brush in Ohio. And doing research, I read that we don’t have very large hog here, I was mostly drawn to .44 because of the abundance of ammo to practice with, and I can find it anywhere, along with a lighter weight rifle, making to easier to walk with during a deer hunt. I thank you all for your opinions, and I’ll be trying to make up my mind with this information, thank you!
You don't need head shots. I haven't but many people have shot hogs with 44 mag. Hard lead. I load XTP which some people say are hard enough for hog.

Not saying I don't like 45-70. I choose to hunt with that over my 44, since I hunt in heavy bush and hope it runs 10 yards less. I did buy the 44 mag for walking, but haven't used it alot for that.

I have skinner sights on my 44 mag and 2x7 on 45-70. 1-5 with firedot would be nice. Next bear season I may do that. Since I walk in day, peeps are ok. But for hunting low light, I want a scope. My preference
Old 09-28-2018, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

One thing that is fun, you can load 44 mag with unique and in a rifle if is a powder puff. Even H110 at max, not a big deal. Fun to shoot. Granted you are buying it for hunting not plinking.

I personnally don't find 45-70 a big deal, but I grew up on old remintgons with plastic but plates, and that is what I am still using. So put a rubber pad on 45-70, and doesn't seem any worse than 30-06 or shotgun.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Berserker
One thing that is fun, you can load 44 mag with unique and in a rifle if is a powder puff. Even H110 at max, not a big deal. Fun to shoot. Granted you are buying it for hunting not plinking.

I personnally don't find 45-70 a big deal, but I grew up on old remintgons with plastic but plates, and that is what I am still using. So put a rubber pad on 45-70, and doesn't seem any worse than 30-06 or shotgun.
Thank you for the info, it would be a mix of plinking and hunting, since I know .44 is enough to deer I planned on getting one anyway, I just wanted to know if .44 had merit to take out a few hog here and there, but I also know 45-70 can do the job better.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

I do like to go big. While I carried the 44 mag on a couple walks, the 45-70 killed last years buck. Some may say overkill. Like I said both have merits. 44 mag lighter fun plinking. 45-70 more power.

Either way. I would look into reloading if you don't Allows you to shoot premium for cost of cheap.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

one of my neighbors I hand load for, "Allen" got a Hog this weekend with his
500 S&W revolver,it looks similar to this picture I found posted else ware

using the LEE nominal 440 grain weight, hard cast,
gas check bullet, loaded over the,
20 grain load of blue dot powder,
Allens been practicing and hes gotten to the point where 2" 25 yard 3 shot groups are reasonably common if hes got a rest like a sitting position or a tree to lean against

the hog, this time, was about 160 lbs live weight,
it was facing him at about 18-20 yards, when he fired.
the single 500 mag slug entered center upper chest and exited the inner lower ham on the left side near the anus.
the 500 mag with hard cast ,gas check bullets is proving to be devastating on hogs

http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=500 SqqqW Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ld-c501-440-rf

just a bit of info on these lee "440 grain" 500 S&W bullet molds ,
with the gas check and lube on these cast bullets,
at least using my 95% WW alloy and 5% tin, mix,
the projectiles actually weigh about 470 grains
they are quite accurate (WITH THE GAS CHECKS)
http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/500-s-w...or-gas-checks/
and penetrate extremely well and consistently and can easily be pushed to 1300 -plus fps.

IN my 44 mag revolver,Ive had almost identical results on a rather similar size hog about 4 years ago.
Allens thrilled with his revolver , and it certainly works, but I can,t say its proven any more effective than my 10 5/8" S&W 44 mag revolver

I've used a 20 grain charge of H110 under a LEE 310 grain hard cast 44 cal. bullet seated out to the lower crimp groove

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...cf-430-diameter-310-grain-flat-nose-gas-check
MOLD DC C 430-310-RF
Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

hardcast, while performance on a normal sized hog at 18-20 yards would be around the same between the .44mag and the .500sw, you can bet your bottom dollar the .500 has tons more power and effective range. I know since I have several .44's and a couple .500's. They are like night and day.
I've taken whitetale, hogs, and elk with both in handgun configurations. The old man had a .44mag marlin that I took a couple hogs and 1 whitetail with. It was adequate for both. As was said earlier, there are several other straight walled cartridges that would be better but with your range expectations a light little .44mag marlin would be just fine as long as you stay within it's limitations. Hogs can be and are a very tough animal but they aren't bullet proof. A good old heavy boar will have that cartilage shield built up and that thing does absorb a ton of energy from bullets so I would target them quartering away and trying to hit a bit behind the shoulder. Head shots on broadside boars are fairly easy but don't take those on whitetail. Much smaller target area and much more likely to maim a whitetail. Straight on headshots on hogs can be tricky. Their skull has a very steep slope to it and that can cause a bullet skip rather than penetration. Some are under the false impression that their skulls are really thick and tough but in reality they are far from it. Just that angle can cause problems.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

theres no question that a 500 mag hits almost twice as hard and delivers massive impact energy,
one has to respect that, and you can,t deny or ignore the physics.
if your confronting something at longer range or an animal that can be violent, theres zero question the 500 mag has serious advantages ,
if the person using the handgun can use it accurately with its weight and significant recoil.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/?Caliber=500+SqqqW+Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun& Order=Powder&Source=
I doubt anyone's questioning that or would try to pretend its not a great deal more powerful than the 44 mag.
I'm simply pointing out that for almost 5 decades I've rarely had a bullet from any of my 44 mag or 445 DWSM revolvers,
fail to exit a deer or hog, I've shot regardless of the range or impact point

my 44 mag revolver is the longer barrel version

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Ha ndgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Ive also used and own a 10" dan wesson 445 super mag, this is a serious step up and very accurate,
but both the 44 mag and 445 mag are very lethal and both leave exit wounds

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=445%20Supermag&Weight=All&type =Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

that being stated , once you can with your revolver and cartridge of choice,
consistently punch through the intended game at any reasonable range and angle and have consistent bullet exits.
like can be done with a hard cast 300-310 grain, 44 mag on deer and most hogs I don,t see having more power as a big advantage.
now if you step up to Elk, the 445 DWSM has a noticeable range advantage as you gained about 300 fps with the identical bullets.
if I was contemplating going up against something like lion, or large bear, than the S&W 460 or S&W 500 mag, if the correct projectile is used,
is simply a better choice without ANY question

heres a rather interesting video, where a guy filmed his hunts using a ruger 44 mag handgun with 300 grain bullets
it certainly seems to work rather consistently, and while a 500 S&W surely hits harder ,and has twice the power,
I doubt its twice as effective, as with most hunts knowing your games anatomy and being a good consistent shot maters more than power alone

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-22-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

I've shot a lot of hogs with a .357 mag & 44 mag handgun, mostly head shots, hunting with dogs...it's plenty of OOMPH to do the job.

I don't know much about .44 mag rifles, but I'd have to think they are just as effective, but I wouldn't know about knock-down at ranges greater than 50 yards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.