Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

big sow down

Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Grind it up. Delicious sausage.

-Jake
Old 04-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually cook mine as Goulash, but have been using the slow cooker and making pulled pork.

Depends a lot on what they have been eating, as to how they taste. Younger is usually better all around. I try to take mine right after the grain harvest here. The Hogs here eat better than most people do, they raid somebodies fields daily, veggies, grain, Corn and even Strawberries.

I've been trying to harvest one out that has been mostly feeding on Cattail roots. No Acorns this year. Hope I'm lucky, I'm interested in how one tastes that has been eating mostly Cattail roots.

Some of it can be how quick they go down and die. I'm not real fond of runners or a slow death, which tends to fill the meat with hormones and/or the byproducts of panic. Funny though, the women tend to favor high hormone/lactic acid meat.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ear holed both of these with a .308

The wife cooked the ribs from the 100lber last night in her instant pot, They were pretty good.

We made 2 different breakfast sausages, 1 batch from a local IGA maple seasoning and one regular from backwoods seasoning and some brat burgers with local IGA brat seasoning and we added 1lb domestic pork fat per 4lb. Those all turned out really really good.

I saved a couple quarters to smoke whole for the 4th of July.

Just regular fried pork chops are pretty much a bust. I'll have to tenderize them.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rockport
Wellston Oklahoma

If I would have know I'd of took ya out to eat somewhere. That only about 20 min north of me lol
Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
If I would have know I'd of took ya out to eat somewhere. That only about 20 min north of me lol
Awesome, I go every year. I'll have to look you up next year.