Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
stupid question but had to ask >

stupid question but had to ask

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

stupid question but had to ask

Old 07-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Spike

Pistol is always handy
Old 07-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ranch Fairy
Keep a 12 gauge in the truck.
If you have to go off in the thick stuff, swap to shotgun. Trust me, buckshot is very convincing at close range. It has a calming effect.

Pistols are excellent for movies and forums where people never hunt pigs.
"It has a calming effect." Ain't that the truth!?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Spike

I have a hard time imagining that pepper spray would work. I like the shot gun idea. But I keep thinking of that one scene in the Predator movie where the black guy stabs the hog to death. But I wouldn't want to get in a knife fight with a boar.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A hog coming after somebody is rare. It happens, but most times it is a bluff. Much more likely a sow will come at you just because you are between her and where she wants to go or the direction she happens to be pointed. IMO Sows are the more dangerous, they can come in head back, mouth open and crotch high. Boar kind of slash at your lower legs, sows bite.

A guy I knew killed one with a knife not long ago. The Boar got injured by a brush Hog, had already attacked one person. Him and another guy went after the Boar. The Boar jumped them and was too close to shoot, without the danger of shooting each other. The guy was wearing leather pants, no puncture marks but some serious bruises.

I remember telling the guys on another board that I put a bayonet mount on my shotgun. And said before I go into a thicket after an injured Hog I attach the bayonet. They all laughed at me. I haven't been bitten yet and so far have always managed to avoid getting trampled.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-25-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

The whole "hogs charge" thing is blown out of proportion. in my 30+ years dealing with these creatures (bow hunting, trapping, and knife hunting) I have never had a single hog charge. They tend to want to run, and sometimes it is in your direction. They cant see well. I usually carry a pocket full of rocks with me when I am deer hunting. When I come up on the hogs, i throw rocks at them to get them to leave.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Spike

I own a hog hunting ranch for 8 yrs now and have yet to have a hog charge anyone in the wild. they will 100 percent run through you if they are cornered but what animal wont.