HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Ammo Suggestion help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/413494-ammo-suggestion-help.html)

dnew85 05-02-2017 11:53 AM

Ammo Suggestion help

Hey guys, new to the page, but I'd love some input. I live in SC, and hunt with a 30-06 rifle. Recently, I picked up a Glock G40 10mm to carry with me as a sidearm for when I go hunting. I would like some help finding a good hunting round to use. I'm stuck using the stock barrel for a while till I can afford a good aftermarket one, so hard cast lead is currently a no go. I need a round that will be powerful enough to take out any wild hogs that may come across my path. I heard that I should use a 220 grain round for hog, but I can't find any 220 FMJ. I did see some Underwood 200gr XTP that sounds promising, but I'd love to know if anyone else has had any experience using those for hogs, or another round that I could use.

A couple of other rounds I saw from Underwood are:

200 Grain FMJ- 1250 fps, 694 ft. lbs.
165 Grain FMJ- 1400 fps, 718 ft. lbs.
155 Grain FMJ- 1500 fps, 774 ft. lbs.
140 Grain Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator- 1500 fps, 700 Ft. lbs.

They have a great amount of energy and penetration, especially on the Lehigh round, but most are nowhere near the 220 grain I was suggested to have for hogs. I could really use some feedback.

Thanks for any input you guys have!

Oldtimr 05-02-2017 12:26 PM

I don't know why you want FMJ ammo for hogs. I have hunted hogs for years and hunt with guys that use .270s, 30-06s and other calibers. I use a 45.70 with Hornady leverevolution 325 grn bullets. All use expanding bullets. 150 grn or 180 grn ammo will be plenty in your 06. Remington makes a bullet called a hog hammer and they come in 06. While hogs are tough, they aren't Cape Buffalo or Elephants. I am sure there are gyus here that use 06s for hogs and I am sure they will tell you what they use.

muzzlestuffer 05-02-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dnew85 (Post 4302834)
Hey guys, new to the page, but I'd love some input. I live in SC, and hunt with a 30-06 rifle. Recently, I picked up a Glock G40 10mm to carry with me as a sidearm for when I go hunting. I would like some help finding a good hunting round to use. I'm stuck using the stock barrel for a while till I can afford a good aftermarket one, so hard cast lead is currently a no go. I need a round that will be powerful enough to take out any wild hogs that may come across my path. I heard that I should use a 220 grain round for hog, but I can't find any 220 FMJ. I did see some Underwood 200gr XTP that sounds promising, but I'd love to know if anyone else has had any experience using those for hogs, or another round that I could use.

They have a great amount of energy and penetration, especially on the Lehigh round, but most are nowhere near the 220 grain I was suggested to have for hogs. I could really use some feedback.

I'll send you some when I get home. I use nosler and Hornaday xtp loads.

dnew85 05-02-2017 12:45 PM

Oldtimr, I would use FMJ practically for the penetration that you would get for it to go through the shoulder plate. I get that a rifle will work better, and my 30-06 is my primary hunting firearm. I got a 10mm to have as a sidearm in case they are too close for a rifle shot or getting charged close through the woods when a rifle wouldn't be ideal. I just need a round for my 10mm that can do the job if needed, and a hard cast load isn't something I can shoot through my stock glock barrel.

MudderChuck 05-03-2017 11:37 AM

Just opinion, but penetration isn't the answer with a pistol or a medium velocity rifle. IMO in a pistol you want something that expands fast, dumps all of it's energy quickly and leaves a large wound. Basically, using a analogy, poke them with an ice pick or hit them with a baseball bat.

I use 200 grain silver tips in my 44 special. Used to use semi jacketed round nose. Your 10 has 20-30% more velocity than my .44 does.

Hogs often don't react to shock like Deer do. A Silver tip and they know they've been shot and hurt. The down side is it does tear up a lot of meat.

Word of advice, I wouldn't try shooting a decent sized Hog "once" with a pistol and stop to see what happens, two hits is better, three solid hits ought to dissuade that hog from traveling in the direction it was headed.

Sometimes you get lucky and they drop in a pile, most times they fall within 40 yards, sometimes they die really hard and once in a great while they will come after you especially if they are wounded.

My opinion is big bleeding holes works better on Hogs than penetration does and bullets that go all the way through are wasting a lot of energy.

muzzlestuffer 05-03-2017 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dnew85 (Post 4302834)

Here's a couple 10mm loads
200gr nosler hp over 9.6 grs blue dot CCI 300 primer 1.260coal
200 gr xtp over 12.5 grs aa9 cci 300 primer 1.260 coal
180 gr xtp over 10.3 grs blue dot CCI 300 primers 1.260 coal all brand new starline brass all fired in my para usa elite ls hunter will send more soon

der Teufel 05-04-2017 01:44 PM

If you're talking about ammo for your .30-06, basically any hunting bullet will do. A .30-06 will blow through a hog without any trouble. Any 150 grain Core-Lokt or equivalent will work fine. If you're talking about ammo for the Glock, are you going to hunt with it? If you just want something to carry while you're hunting with the rifle, the pistol ammo doesn't matter.

Oldtimr 05-04-2017 02:09 PM

I was hunting hogs in February. I shot a boar that after the hunt weighed in at 163 lbs live weight. I shot him through the neck with a 325 grn 45-70 leverevolution round and he went right down and didn't move. I gave him 5 minutes and gathered up my gear, back pack etc and went down out of the stand to take pictures before the outfitter came to pick me and the hog up. I took one picture from the side and moved to the front, about 4 feet away, raised my camera and I saw the hog blink. About the time I said oh s--t to myself the hog was coming at me chomping his jaws and growling. My rifle was on my shoulder, I had my .40 S&W Kahr MK 40 on my right hip, I just drew and fired and dropped him at my feet. That handgun bullet was a Winchester SXT 165 grn HP and it killed that big hog grave yard dead. You don't need a bazooka to kill a hog, you just have to hit them in the right place. If you plan on shoulder shots, try to wait till they are quartering away and shoot for the crease behind the shoulder. It won't matter what caliber, it will kill that hog. If you chose your shot you don't have to worry about the shield. I normally go for head or neck shots and that usually kills them where they stand. This was the first time a neck shot didn't do that. I would never use a FMJ because they go right through the hog and do not dump their energy, I want a bullet that expands a whole lot. It sounds to me like someone has been giving you a load of crap about killing hogs.

muzzlestuffer 05-04-2017 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dnew85 (Post 4302842)
Oldtimr, I would use FMJ practically for the penetration that you would get for it to go through the shoulder plate. I get that a rifle will work better, and my 30-06 is my primary hunting firearm. I got a 10mm to have as a sidearm in case they are too close for a rifle shot or getting charged close through the woods when a rifle wouldn't be ideal. I just need a round for my 10mm that can do the job if needed, and a hard cast load isn't something I can shoot through my stock glock barrel.

I can't remember if anyone makes a 220 gr I know you can cast them though why can't you shoot lead in your barrel ? I shoot lead in my para no problems as long as you watch your velocities and lead hardness.

falcon 05-05-2017 05:00 PM

Hogs ain't rhinos. Any good 150 grain .30-06 bullet is capable of killing a 350 pound wild hog. i personally prefer the 180 grain bullets for big hogs. Nearly any 180 grain .30-06 bullet is capable of penetrating both "shields" on a 350 pound hog.

Most of my hogs are killed with a .50 caliber muzzleloader. This big boar was killed with a saboted .452 SST bullet. Bullet penetrated both shields and was found under the skin on the opposite side. The bullet path measured 19".

Hog went about 200 yards when shot.