HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Are you using hog baits? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/412642-you-using-hog-baits.html)

outdoorlyf 03-20-2017 12:07 AM

Are you using hog baits?

Do you know how to make DIY hog baits? My friends are going for a pig hunting trip next month and they tag me along. Thought i might become useful if i make them hog baits.

Thanks in advance!

falcon 03-20-2017 04:22 PM

IMO: Best attractant for hogs is soured corn. Fill a five gallon bucket about 2/3rds full of corn, fill bucket with water to a couple inches from the top. Replace lid and set bucket in the sun until it really smells.

Put the soured corn in a feeder pan or open bucket and wait.

Double Naught Spy 03-21-2017 12:31 PM

I have tried all sorts of homemade baits and 3 commercial baits. I can't tell that any of them work in better than just plain old corn. I have done the souring, Big Red, jello, beer, diesel, and Kool-Aid etc.

The only thing I have not been able to try successfully is a pile of rotten watermelons and that is because I don't know any growers.

SecondChance 03-28-2017 09:03 AM

I have used soured corn, a 5gal bucket 2/3rds full, with some of the cheapest beer you can buy. A 6pk will work and I add about 4-6 pks of Kool-Aid, I like cherry for color and scent. Let stand in a closed bucket for a few days and pour it out at your site area. Has worked for us many times over.

JoeA 06-05-2017 01:50 PM

Soured corn, flavored corn, or rotten just about anything will attract hogs. BUT, if you give'em a choice, they'll go for fresh stuff first. The ageing, or adding diesel helps keep other animals away from your hog bait.

I've had some good luck burying corn, once even dry dog food, mixed with chocolate or strawberry syrup in a hole. The hogs wore it out.

Oldtimr 06-05-2017 02:35 PM

I have hunted hogs for about 8 years and we have never used anything but corn from a timed feeder to attract them before the gun. I am sure there are other things that work and I have read about all kinds of concoctions, however, sometimes the simplest way is as good as anything else.

BRUSE 06-05-2017 05:41 PM

We once added yeast to corn and let it soak in a 5 gallon bucket. We even used the hog wild stuff a few times. I couldn't tell you if it made a difference or not. The plan corn on the feeders worked well. We always had hogs in Texas. Good luck

der Teufel 06-12-2017 05:46 PM

The only advantage of soured corn over plain corn is that most other animals won't eat it. I think hogs prefer plain corn, but everything in the forest eats plain corn so it's not unusual that the raccoons and deer clean it up before the hogs even find it. If you've got a feeder, the hogs will eventually show up.
There's no magical bait that makes hogs appear. If you haven't baited an area in advance, there's nothing you can do that will assure you of seeing hogs the day/night you arrive.

HansETX 07-07-2017 06:13 AM

I use a mixture to sour corn...

HansETX 07-07-2017 06:28 AM

Best Hog Hunting Bait!