Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

.223 vs. Hogs?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

der Teufel, You are correct and incorrect at the same time. You are correct in the fact that the earlier 5.56 round was inadequately stabilized and a higher twist rate was added to stabilize the .55 grain bullet. What you are incorrect about is the yaw. It is no myth and has been proven many times. It is caused by the rearward weighting of the ball ammo. Upon entry the bullet tends to upset and yaw. Newer bullet designs have a more equally balanced makeup and do not yaw upon entry as I stated in my earlier post.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
der Teufel, You are correct and incorrect at the same time. You are correct in the fact that the earlier 5.56 round was inadequately stabilized and a higher twist rate was added to stabilize the .55 grain bullet. What you are incorrect about is the yaw. It is no myth and has been proven many times. It is caused by the rearward weighting of the ball ammo. Upon entry the bullet tends to upset and yaw. Newer bullet designs have a more equally balanced makeup and do not yaw upon entry as I stated in my earlier post.

Good description of the 5.56.

Hunters counting on yaw seems odd when it's always mentioned for one caliber. I trust our militaries long experience with the 5.56 but I can't help to wonder how new bullet design compared to old designs change terminal ballistics. Another thing that comes to mind about yaw is an expanding bullet vs a FMJ.

In regards to yaw, terminal ballistics are hard to factor. It would be safer to choose a caliber and bullet's ability to kill based on other data. Factors such as bullet weight, weight retention, expansion, velocity, diameter, and muzzle energy.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Double Naught Spy is correct in that statement for the most part.
Actually, given that the external auditory meatus (ear canal) is located at the posterier aspect of the skull and that the pinna (external ear) are extend even further back, making a shot "behind the ear" that most definitely can be entirely through nothing but skin and neck muscle, connecting with nothing vital, no spine or other bone structures, no vital organs, and no major blood vessels. That is what can happen with a typical broadside shot or shot where the hog is quartered toward the shooter.

I have seen it happen on multiple occasions and even killed another hunter's hog that had a mostly healed "behind the ear" shot. It can and does happen. This is the hog. The entry side of the wound had healed completely. The exit side (shown) was mostly healed but still oozing a clear liquid. If you look close, you can see where the shot also clipped the ear.

Intentionally aiming for a spot on the hog with no vital structures is just plain stupid. Behind the ear won't even slow down it locomotion. Either shoot it in the brain case area of the head, center of the neck (to hopefully connect with spine), boiler room (heart and/or lung), or liver area.

Now, you can make a head shot on a quartering away hog by placing the bullet behind the ear and that is another matter entirely.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:18 AM
Spike

I've probably harvested over 50 hogs with Hornady .223 75gr BTHP Match. Most were lungs/heart shot from 100-250 pounds usually 100 yard or so. One ran 50 yards, but he was 250 plus and was charging one of my dogs when I hit him so he was a little ��.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think I'd prefer something bigger.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Spike

Head shots. Middle of head, directly beneath the ear.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:21 AM
Spike

Hornady .223 Full Boar, love this load
Old 07-07-2017, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default .223 vs 300lb Boar Hog

Old 07-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Spike

Shot placement is king. That can be said of any round. But .223 really relies on you being accurate and hitting head or spine shots.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Spike

Also, we use 7.62x39 AKs with thermals and suppressors and have had big hogs take multiple shots to the vitals area and run off. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing in a wounded animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.