Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Question for Oklahoma/Texas Hog hunting >

Question for Oklahoma/Texas Hog hunting

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Question for Oklahoma/Texas Hog hunting

Old 02-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Spike

That's awesome. I looked but I couldn't find where it said you were located.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Spike

Ah. I just found it, by Eagle Mountain Lake!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Spike

How are the snakes down there? One place that I was looking at earlier was in Sweetwater and I noticed that it was the Rattlesnake roundup capital of the world! That's not gonna happen with this ol boy! Not a fan of snakes. I know they are everywhere down there but if you have to have a roundup for them, ha, I'm out. Is there a time of year when it is cool enough that the pig hunting is good but the snakes are gone for the season?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

The problem with that is when its that cold deer seasons going on, thats not a problem. I would consider thanksgiving weekend , hogs and does on public land thats usually buck only ?I kill a dozen a year but not usually a problem when hunting. Me and my son do find em when bird hunting in September. Don't know when your free but hunting pressure makes them more nocturnal but in oct, and November I took one at 8:45 and one about 10:30 am , and saw the same group about the same time 3 or 4 times.I want to hunt them sooner but hogs don't have sweat glands and will go to water in the day this summer they'll have to. Lots of ponds find one in the shade and wait, also use the moon so make sure if he don't get one we can hunt em at night . I will have surgery again April 3 and will be forced not to work for 3 weeks- but will recover or die outdoors with my boots on. I do own snake boots but usually wear rubber boots , I wouldn't worry. Look up Lbj grasslands ,black creek lake , tadra point if you can , depending on when you come I would like to go to Olney but im hoping to hunt the hogs were I've been and some new units . Can't wait to show you what im talking about. Pm me your number so I can send you some pictures please ,-thanks
Old 03-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Guess you got too busy to reply or check out the site . Let me know if you still want to come hog hunting . Try to let me know ahead of time so I can have things set up for us to stay there , how many days will you be able to stay and when are you coming ?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 AM
Spike

Good morning sir. I apologize. I truly have been slammed. The company that I work for was bought out so there was a lot of uncertainty and on top of that, I bought a new (to me) house and have been slammed moving/painting/fixing all of these other things. I doubt I can make it down this year but was thinking/hoping of next winter or spring. I'd like to spend at least a weekend but maybe 3-4 days if I can pull it off. I'm not exactly sure how hunting seasons work down there as far as time frames, ours is pretty much over by December other than some special late season hunts. I don't want to interfere with any deer hunts.
Again, I'm sorry to leave you hanging. I think I bit off more than I can chew with the new house and honey do lists. I would definitely still love to walk around the woods with you sometime!!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Spike

We have a million hogs on public land in Oklahoma. I will never understand why anyone would pay for a hog hunt. Buy a small game lic otc and pick a wma! kill as many as you want instead of being limited to one or two.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jakhammer125
We have a million hogs on public land in Oklahoma. I will never understand why anyone would pay for a hog hunt. Buy a small game lic otc and pick a wma! kill as many as you want instead of being limited to one or two.
Jakhammer, the only problem that I have with that is I have no idea where to start! I feel the same way about elk and mule deer. We have over 500,000 elk and just as many mule deer. You can get an over the counter tag for elk and pick a unit and find one. However, being from out of state makes it hard because you don't know public from private, accessibility, etc. I'd love to come back to OK for a public hunt. If you could point me in a direction that has some good pig hunting, closer to Colorado the better, man I would be forever greatful. I still would like to join blessed to hunt but to be honest, I don't think i could ever have enough pig in the freezer. The ones that I got from OK on a guided hunt last year were the greatest things ever!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Spike

I work for odwc and could put you on hogs without a problem but the only problem is that I'm stationed on a wma as far from you as possible. I'm at red slough wma in extreme se ok. I have more hogs than a hog farm and most of the wmas within a hundred miles of me have a lot. The problem with staying close to Colorado is that the hog density in nw Oklahoma is very sparse due to lack of habitat and water. I have many guys come hunt red slough every winter and with great success. Most from out of state. Go online and check out red slough wma and see if you would be interested in coming and if so send me a pm and ill give you contact info. Ill get you on hogs. Only problem is that we have about another month of good hunting then it will be too hot.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like fun at Red Slough Wma ,we like the hot cause they have to come to the ponds to cool off . Don't feel bad the offers always good , I just wanted to send you some pictures . When you get ready we can go public but I plan on us staying in a small cabin one of my buddies owns and hunt on private land. Congrats on your new home and keep in touch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.