Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

My 4th Mulefoot Hog

Old 12-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default My 4th Mulefoot Hog

It had been a slow night, cold and windy. I had the blind buttoned up to keep out the wind and would peek out the windows every few minutes to scan for hogs. During this time, I received a phone call about a fairly important matter. I had told the guy I was free to talk, FOUR hours before he called me back, LOL. Since nothing was going on, I decided to chat with him. Of course, that is when the hog showed up...

Feral mulefoot hogs are pretty rare. This was a nice hog to take, sort of like an early Christmas present.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the mule foot boar.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a new one on me and I've never heard that name before.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, they are very rare as a genetic mutation, but do show up occasionally in domestic herds. Farmers learned that they were less prone to hoof rot and by 1908 there was a breed designation for them. They gained in popularity as a premier pork meat until the beef industry took a huge chunk out of the market after the 1930s. At that time, there were hundreds of registered mulefoot herds around the US and Canada. Now, they are almost extinct as a domestic breed and feral mulefoots are very rare. The condition can be bred for and so is hereditary. I am guessing that my success with getting so many probably stems from there having been a domestic population in the area at some point in the recent past. Of course, this is a trait most people will miss if they aren't looking for it. I would be willing to bet that hunters kill more of these than we realize exist, but nobody is really looking at the feet.