Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Trapped a Long Haired Mangy Hog >

Trapped a Long Haired Mangy Hog

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Trapped a Long Haired Mangy Hog

Old 04-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Trapped a Long Haired Mangy Hog

This long haired boar was in a trap today. He was mangy and was toted off to rot. Never saw a hog with the mange before.

Long haired hogs are not common here. But there are at two other long haired boars visiting that feeder, including one that weighs over 300 pounds.

Last edited by falcon; 04-14-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Proper disposal of the carcass (incineration, burying, etc.) is critical to prevent exposure of other wildlife and humans to disease. Three common effective methods of carcass disposal are: incineration, burying, and rendering. Incineration is the preferred method to use when the carcass is diseased; however, it can also be the most expensive. An acceptable alternative is to bury the carcass. The carcass should be buried at least 4 feet deep and covered with lime to discourage scavengers from uncovering and consuming it. (cut and paste from)
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conserva...ring/Protocols

Nobodies perfect, but IMO the proper disposal of obviously sick and infected animals is the responsible thing to do. And generally self serving as it lessens the chance of other game or you becoming infected and benefits your whole hunting area.

Four feet deep is kind of extreme. I usually try for something shallower and cover it with rocks after pouring a quart or more of Clorox on it. Maybe I'll start carrying a sack of Lime with me instead. I do carry large garden, heavy duty, plastic leaf bags, they come in really handy.

Clorox has multiple uses, in a water solution it is a hand sanitizer. I use it on my preparation/butcher table and on the floor. Wiping out the game tray in my Jeep etc.

I've seen Mange outbreaks in the Fox population before. One way a hunter can be beneficial to the wildlife is to help contain outbreaks.

Wildlife gets sick with a non fatal diseases (parasites etc.) and it becomes more susceptible to worse diseases.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-15-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Good dead ugly hog!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nobodies perfect, but IMO the proper disposal of obviously sick and infected animals is the responsible thing to do.
Yes, i know. The place is wetlands that is presently flooded. There is a backhoe available but i'm not going to risk getting it stuck in an attempt to bury a hog.

Methinks that dead animal presents a much lower threat to wildlife than he did while alive; wandering around in contact with other hogs.