Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Double Sows Plus 9

Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Double Sows Plus 9

This sounder had been coming to my place for a while, but we had not been able to get on it. We did this morning. Took out two big sows, one with nine piglets on board, and we both shot at another, my partner appears to have hit it, but no blood, no blood trail, and no body.

My partner found a disabled vet up the road, an old Marine, that will take hogs. We donated two to him last week and then the two this week. He doesn't sleep much either and came right over when we called and said we were starting to gut them. He said that this should fill his freezers, but to give him a call if we go out next week. He might find some more room, LOL.

Video

https://youtu.be/6eWUXohq-Og
Old 05-20-2015, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Relevant to absolutely nothing, but something you might find interesting. Wild pig is selling for $4-5 a pound here, gutted, skinned (not boned) and refrigerated.

Inspected, butchered and packaged double to triple that.

They have restaurants that specialize in Wild meats and do a good business.

Maybe a third of the wild Hogs in southern Germany are radioactive and not even worth dog food. A leftover from Chernobyl. The demand is higher than the supply.

Wild Hogs aren't an invasive species here. But the population has exploded since the Farmers have been planting a lot of Corn for Bio fuel. It seems Corn accelerates growth and sexual maturity. The number of hunters has gone down since the left parties have pushed legislation (stumbling blocks) for licensing new hunters. Typical political situation, two factions working at cross purposes and the end result is a plethora of undecipherable legislation and a Hog Plague.

Hogs are actually a renewable resource, they just need to be controlled.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Good shooting. Glad you're able to help out a Vet, but with the damage hogs cause, I don't have a problem leaving them dead in the field.

Thanks for the video.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Good shooting. Glad you're able to help out a Vet, but with the damage hogs cause, I don't have a problem leaving them dead in the field.
I am good with doing what is legal, which includes letting them lay, but I do hate to waste the resource if I know somebody wants it and who appreciates it. Bill, the Marine, genuinely does. Most hogs I shoot go to the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society. :-)
Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the sows. It's aways good to take our pregnant sows.