Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Snake boots, which ones are you using and why? >

Snake boots, which ones are you using and why?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Snake boots, which ones are you using and why?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snake boots, which ones are you using and why?

I just came into the oppurtunity to be able to hunt So. Missouri for hogs and deer. The landowner tells me that they have alot of rattlers and copperheads down there. Cottonmouths in the lower part, not so much by him. I was looking at boots at Cabelas on line and was not very impressed.
I saw that they are not waterproof like advertised. So if they lack that advertised quality, what about the snake proofness? What do you wear and how long have they lasted you? That was another quality that I saw was rather poor.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never had need of them. However, the Sportsmans Guide catalog has a pair on the cover, 16" high, laceup with side zipper, leather and 900 denier cordoura uppers and waterproof on sale for 89.00 to members and 99.00 to non members. I can't vouch for them but I have bought some good stuff from SC.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

A snakes fags are not armor piercing. Any boot with a good cordura upper that covers your calf will be fine. As far as waterproof, those are a little hard to find where the waterproofing is as advertised. I have a set of Rocky's ( I think they are called Lynx or some such) that are very comfortable and I have yet to have them leak when creek crossing.

Whenever I bowhunt down south or in Texas Snakes are most definitely a concern. I usually carry a .22 pistol loaded with "snake/rat shot" Or a little derringer that takes .410 shotgun. But its the ones you don't see that get you.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a pair of Laross Venom.,love them. Lace up and side zipper. Easy in and easy off,
Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is what I use..................very lite as well !

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

BTW - I walk through streams with them and never had a concern.

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-08-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have looked at all kinds and the reviews are a huge thing I look at. Seems like the waterproofness is a big downfall for all involved. That and the soles fall apart/off also. I have a pair of Rocky Cordura 2000grm that I use for goose n deer hunting that are very comfortable but would be rather warm during spring turkey season. Keep the replys coming and I will see what I can find.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

found my boots...It was lynx... I've put a good bit of mileage on them and have had no issues so far with the lowers or uppers...I will say that they took a bit to break in the uppers and they rubbed my calves pretty bad the first couple of outings but after that I've had no issues with them. As stated earlier, they have yet to leak.

http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens...FQ0007379.html
Old 03-07-2015, 05:34 AM
Spike

Another vote for the Rocky Lynx boots. I have waded a lot of Florida marsh and swamps, both salt and fresh water and they have never leaked a drop.

Bob
Old 03-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

I wear Danner when I'm in areas with more aggressive rattlesnakes. That being said, I live in the Ozarks and rarely wear them around here. Our rattlesnakes are timber rattlers, and are so docile I don't know anyone that's ever been bitten, although they get pretty big and ugly/pretty depending on how you see them. We also have pygmy rattlers, but they are just that - very small. A copperhead probably won't hurt you too bad if it does bite you, and the only people I personally know bitten by one got bit on the hand (woodpiles) or foot (barefoot). I have a healthy respect for cottonmouths, but only see them when I'm hiking on riverbanks, and it only takes one look at that white mouth to send me the other way.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

newton, don't underestimate a copperhead. Unless you have a severe reaction (anaphylactic shock) it's doubtful you would die. As long as you are a basically healthy adult. But I know a few that have been bitten by them around woodpiles mainly and from what they described to me, they wished they were dead at the worst of it. Said it made the flu seem like a picnic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.