Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Snake boots, which ones are you using and why? >

Snake boots, which ones are you using and why?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Snake boots, which ones are you using and why?

Old 04-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Cabelas sells snake gaiters which is what I wear together with my hiking boots.

There are dark diamondbacks in my area and a bite could be serious resulting in surgery and several weeks in the hospital.

Gaiters are more comfortable than snake boots.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

I've purchased the "turtle skin" snake gators. These are light and flexible and cover ankle to knee. My desire is a light waterproof knee high boot for traversing the swamp. Something that will endure a bite on top of the foot but allow walking up to knee deep.

The second question is what happens when your in the swamp with the water edge to just below the knee. Now the thigh is exposed as you step up onto a hummock or whatever bit of solid land is available. Am I over thinking this snake thing?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
I've purchased the "turtle skin" snake gators. These are light and flexible and cover ankle to knee. My desire is a light waterproof knee high boot for traversing the swamp. Something that will endure a bite on top of the foot but allow walking up to knee deep.

The second question is what happens when your in the swamp with the water edge to just below the knee. Now the thigh is exposed as you step up onto a hummock or whatever bit of solid land is available. Am I over thinking this snake thing?
Yep. You are overthinking it. I am not planning on doing any deep water traversing with them. Just dry land 99% of the time. Maybe ankle deep once in awhile is it. Not much, if any, deeper water where we are going to be.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Have another option I've been mulling over. Lots of folks saying the muck boots are nice, I agree and they are waterproof. Add a welders spat to each foot for extra protection from a bite on top of the foot or ankle, then use gators to protect the neoprene uppers and you have the best of both worlds. Has anyone tried this?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why go through all that when one pair of boots will do the job instead of a piecemeal Rube Goldberg rig?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Why go through all that when one pair of boots will do the job instead of a piecemeal Rube Goldberg rig?
I have gators, I have muck boots, hip waders, carolina logging boots, and other boots that may not stop a snake on a foot or ankle bite. The weld additions are 20 bucks and versatile, just thought about adding protection to some good boots.

Last edited by MaineRida; 10-01-2015 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Remove wrong wording
Old 12-30-2015, 06:52 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

OK! how high can they hit U.