HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Is it safe to eat 400-800 pound wild hogs? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/394038-safe-eat-400-800-pound-wild-hogs.html)

Dboy007 08-30-2014 12:23 PM

Is it safe to eat 400-800 pound wild hogs?

I was just wondering if it was safe to eat a huge wild hog and if it is safe how do I make sure it does not go bad?

Topgun 3006 08-30-2014 12:42 PM

Big hogs are usually best made into ground sausage, especially big boars that are pretty rank! I have no idea what you are asking as far as being safe to eat and how to keep it. Get it dressed out and cooled properly ASAP and then have it processed, including being properly wrapped and quick frozen before you store it in your home freezer.

Oldtimr 08-30-2014 01:11 PM

The problem with big boars is they are rank in both smell and taste because they were not cut when they were piglets. Some people swear that soaking the meat in cider vinegar and water right after killing and skining takes the rankness out, I cannot attst to that. However, a big sow if you see one that is not feeding young will tast very good.

sconnyhunter 08-30-2014 02:33 PM

Unless the hog is showing signs of being sick, or you are sing evidence of parasites. Than a decent recipe should hold all the answers you need.

Oldtimr 08-30-2014 04:14 PM

There are some things a decent recipe will not fix. Did you ever smell a rank boar hog? It tastes the same as it smells!

Topgun 3006 08-30-2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4157011)
There are some things a decent recipe will not fix. Did you ever smell a rank boar hog? It tastes the same as it smells!

That is true! I once shot a big boar down in south Texas that probably went over 300# and he was so rank we couldn't even dress him out he was so nasty. We rolled him over to the side of the sendero and the coyotes and other critters wouldn't even touch him over the next week or so before we headed home!

sconnyhunter 08-30-2014 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4157011)

No Bless the Lord, I haven't.

We are not infested with those things here in the north woods, yet...

der Teufel 08-31-2014 05:37 PM

I've heard that if the large boars smell so bad that you can't stand to be next to them, then you shouldn't bother to skin and cut them up. So far I haven't run into any that fall into that category. We've killed several that weighed between 230 — 300 Lbs and made sausage or ground meat out of all of them without any complaints from the folks who've eaten the meat.

falcon 09-01-2014 08:47 AM

So far I haven't run into any that fall into that category.
Neither have i. Since early October last year we have trapped and hunted 175-200 wild hogs. A few of those were boars that weighed over 350 pounds. Yep, some of them boars stunk; big boar hogs are supposed to stink, they wallow in all kinds of crap and urinate all over themselves. The stink is on the outside of the hog.

We've killed several that weighed between 230 — 300 Lbs and made sausage or ground meat out of all of them without any complaints from the folks who've eaten the meat.
We've never gotten a bad hog. Except for a few we keep for ourselves, every hog we kill goes to some family who needs the meat. We've discarded a few hogs because of festering wounds from arrows and bullets.

IME: Every complaint of "strong tasting" hog meat i've ever encountered, and there have been many, were because of contaminated or rotten hog meat.

I routinely see guys drive around in 90 degree heat for hours with hogs that have not been field dressed in the back of their pickups. You see them contaminate the meat when field dressing hogs. You see guys get dirt, crud, semen, poop and urine all over the meat. They cut the intestines and get that stuff all over the inside of the hog.

In the back of my pickup are several milk jugs full of water for washing out the body cavity after field dressing hogs. Sometimes my buds and i take really dirty hogs to the car wash before field dressing.

Oldtimr 09-01-2014 11:07 AM

Wild pork for dinner

I don't shoot really big hogs, I like them somewhere between 130 to 140 lbs. I will shoot a big sow if she isn't nursing but so far my boars between 120 and 150 have been delicious. Here is a picture of a wild boar butt I am making today for labor day. Just getting ready to foil it, then back on the heat until 205 degrees, then wrapped in a towl and put in an icechest for 2 hours, then enjoy. I also made a batch of Carolina style vinegar Bar-B-Q sauce to go with it.