Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

30.06 vs 7mm

Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default 30.06 vs 7mm

I wanted to know which is better to hog hunt with a 30.06 or 7mm? I dont plan on being extremely close to the hog. I mean the farthest maybe is about 150yds. And I want to prepare for the worst case scenario which is the maximum weight of the hog is 350lbs can a 30.06 penetrate a hog. The reason I asked is because i've always heard people say that a hogs head is like cement and the bullet will bounce off if you try to shoot it in the head. Also I heard their is only two spots you can shoot it behind the ear, and above the shoulder. Also is it possible to get a 7mm with a reduced recoil? Because im leaning more towards the 7mm because worst case scenario is if im up on a hog and shoot it and miss or the bullet bounces off you have a pissed off hog who more than likely is going to charge you. So which rifle do you recommend and what type, and grain bullet?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot em in the ear or right below it with any decent bullet from any centerfire cartridge and they will drop right there. I don't know where you came up with the baloney about a bullet bouncing off their head, etc. Take either of the calibers you mentioned that you can shoot the best with and go hunting. This last one I shot down in Texas was in the head at a little over 100 yards with just a little tack driving .243 Sako using 100 grain Hornady SP handloads and he flopped right over.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Spike

Ok thanks for clarifying that up for me. You have been a tremendous help.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

There isn't a hog alive that can't be killed with either one. Use whatever you want. Despite rumors, hogs ain't bullet proof. A well placed bullet from either caliber will work just fine.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
There isn't a hog alive that can't be killed with either one. Use whatever you want. Despite rumors, hogs ain't bullet proof. A well placed bullet from either caliber will work just fine.
Any centerfire with the correct bullet selection will do the trick.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by miketodd58
Any centerfire with the correct bullet selection will do the trick.
Yeah, I know that. But the OP was specifically asking about 2 calibers and either one will work. By the way, it isn't just centerfires, I've killed them with blackpowder, arrows and spears too. Like I said, they ain't bullet proof.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Yeah, I know that. But the OP was specifically asking about 2 calibers and either one will work. By the way, it isn't just centerfires, I've killed them with blackpowder, arrows and spears too. Like I said, they ain't bullet proof.
Agreed. I'm dying to kill one with my bow.,just can't find a place to hunt one without spending big bucks. .an you hook a brother up???

When I hunted centerfire 30:06 was my favorite caliber. I eventually took a likening to short actions and .308 became my passion. But I think I killed pigs with just about everything I had including a old 6.5 Jap rifle.

Nowadays you will find me just Bowhunting or Muzzleloading. I like the challenge.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Spike

Default .223 cal kills

Hi, dubcity. Either one will do the job, unless if you will be shooting close range(complete penetration w/no bullet expansion). Either one has the stop&drop capabilities, but shooting under 100yds, is a waste with these large calibers. In East TX on my ranch, I've killed 5 hogs in a year span. I've used a single shot .223/ or 5.56 AR to kill about 50-100yds. Shot placement is the key. My kill spot is by/under the ear. My biggest was 350+.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 7MM what ??? Are you referring to a 7MM Rem Mag ? If that's the case I don't think you'll notice the difference in recoil between the '06 & 7RM, IIRC theres only about 2-3lbs difference in recoil energy with comparable weight bullets in rifles of equal weight.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by katt72
Hi, dubcity. Either one will do the job, unless if you will be shooting close range(complete penetration w/no bullet expansion).
Are you seriously trying to suggest that a .284 or .308 caliber hole through the vitals of a hog won't kill it? Because if you are, that's complete rubbish. There isn't a hog or deer or elk or bear etc... that could survive such a wound. I once shot a big warthog boar in South Africa with a solid out of my 7mm Mag and I assure you he didn't just shake it off. All he did was go FLOP! I've also shot some feral hogs at less than 50 yards with the same rifle with Nosler partitions and they didn't walk off either.

Granted, it is better if the bullet expands but I've shot too much game to buy into what you're suggesting. A bullet hole in the lungs is always a fatal wound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.