Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

30.06 vs 7mm

Old 10-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back on the farm we used to shoot hogs in the head with a .22 LR, it put them down. This was at very close range and a domestic hog. I don't know that I would try that on a feral hog.

If I had no hunting rifle my first buy would be a bolt action 30-06. It will do about all that most folks want, except the dangerous big bears. I do not like recoil either and have a Limbsaver on mine, it soaks up the recoil and makes it a pleasure to shoot.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:12 AM
Spike

There is a rapidly growing population of hogs in North Georgia, and they're becoming a problem for everyone! I've shot one with my Savage 30-06 behind the head and he hit the dirt and didnt make a sound. 150gr Core-Lokt....some of the cheapest hunting ammo out there. The guys that hunt them on my friend's property with dogs use a 10/22 and have killed them up to and over 300lbs so I have no doubt any centerfire cartridge is more than adequate. I myself prob wouldnt use a .22lr, but they have pitbulls that do most of the work.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Shoot em in the ear or right below it with any decent bullet from any centerfire cartridge and they will drop right there. I don't know where you came up with the baloney about a bullet bouncing off their head, etc. Take either of the calibers you mentioned that you can shoot the best with and go hunting. This last one I shot down in Texas was in the head at a little over 100 yards with just a little tack driving .243 Sako using 100 grain Hornady SP handloads and he flopped right over.
Right, a buddy of mine shot a hog with a .243 Win through the lungs. It dropped dead after 5-6 yards. Any 7 mm (7x57, 7x64) or .30 will be fine.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Flags, among others here! Two thins here that are B.S. #1 Bullets CANNOT go "too fast" to expand! Faster velocity= faster expansion.
#2, With the .300 WSM, 180 Partition shot, it would not be the bullet's "fault!" While the .300 WSM and the Partition is definitely NOT "over-kill" on a hog, the problem is likely that a double lung shot, with a tough bullet may not have met with enough resistance to guarantee good expansion. A good, tough bullet has to hit "something" to expand! Thread one through the lungs, missing rib bone, the bullet may not get good expansion. I've bang-flopped 300 pounders with 100 gr. Partitions, so any good bullet in .243/6MM on up will do the job!
Old 11-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Spike

I have been hunting hogs for over fifty years. Either a 30.06 or a 7 mm mag will do the job just fine. I used a BAR 7 mm Rem mag for years. Very powerful flat shooting weapon. Hogs can be dangerous & very hard to bring down. I have hit them hard with my 7 mm, had them run, & tracked them down by the blown out lung tissue. Regardless of the caliber, shot placement is critical. Suggest, if at all possible, a head shot. Forget about that bouncing off stuff; it simply will NEVER happen. I now use a 45/70. Great for close range, but limited compared to a 30.06 or 7 mm.
Shot this monster a couple of weeks ago. Note shot placement. It stopped him in his tracks:

Caliber, semi-auto, bolt, lever action, etc. can be very personal things. Suggest going with whatever you feel most comfortable with. Any will do the job just fine. Bob H.