HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hog Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/392226-hog-hunt.html)

zjordan23 06-08-2014 07:42 PM

Hog Hunt

I am pretty new to hunting, especially hog hunting. A friend of mine and I are going hog hunting on his land in GA in a few weeks. Neither of us have ever been hog hunting before. Any tips to help us out for the first time?

SaltandGun 06-09-2014 08:31 PM

What part of GA is your buddy's land on? What kind of hunting are you planning on doing: stand, dogs, stalking...? Might be able to give you a bit more specific tips with that info but in general just make sure you use enough gun, be conscious of the wind, hunt fresh sign and you should be alright. Personally, I like being on the ground and tracking them since it's more exciting for me than being in a stand or blind but if it's your first time, a stand or blind is probably a good idea. You can find a lot of good articles detailing how to tackle a hog hunt with a quick google search if you're unfamiliar with a lot of the basics. Good luck!

zjordan23 06-13-2014 08:16 AM

using a 30-06, stalking i believe and in southeastern georgia

Bocajnala 06-13-2014 11:13 AM

ZJordan, I don't have any tips for you, but I'm hoping to go hog hunting myself later this year. So I will be following this thread.
-Jake

SaltandGun 06-14-2014 10:29 PM

You aren't going to be that far from me. Typically the hogs love the extra thick stuff. My guess is that since you're new to hunting you won't be super quiet when stalking so I would try to avoid getting back into the thick areas and try to hunt wallows and if possible set up some bait. Not sure of GA rules on baiting but here in FL it's legal on private land. If you can find a decent shooting lane with a clear view of a fresh wallow that would work well or you can try to spread some bait out on the ground a bit on a heavily used path and ambush them there. If you're going to try to truly stalk then hunt the wind and move slower than you think you should be moving. Really look into the area as you walk, a hog covered in mud blends in extremely well, especially in wallows. You can email me at [email protected] if you'd like to ask me any specific questions.

hoghunting 06-23-2014 08:25 AM

Not sure of GA rules on baiting but here in FL it's legal on private land. If you can find a decent shooting lane with a clear view of a fresh wallow that would work well or you can try to spread some bait out on the ground a bit on a heavily used path and ambush them there.
I don't know GA rules either, but for bait, visit the guys in the produce dept of the grocery store as they will probably give you boxes of over ripe fruit and vegetables that they are trashing. Works great as bait and is free.