Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

I want one big hog

Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default I want one big hog

I have hunted hogs 3 times. Just got back from SC. All I ever seem to get is small 100lb hogs. Good eatin, but I would love to get one large 300lber.

The outfitter there had killed a bunch of 250 or greater wild hogs. But thats his thing.

Hunting from the stand in June didn't see much under 200 yards. They seem very scared of corn feeders. And I had a bow so that didn't improve my chances.

So last day, we ran em with dogs, and of course anything big seemed to break the bay pretty easy. But when the dogs bays a small one, they don't get off, so I feel obligated to kill.

I know the big ones were down there. I seen tracks, and game cam pictures in the middle of the night.

Would you say older hogs are like going after monster whitetails? Just smarter and harder to get?

I want a wild free roaming hog, not a fence hog. But not sure if I will ever get a real big boar unless I live down south and go after them more than 4 days a year.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

saw a huge one on the shore of mt. storm lake years ago, its close and you could look into hunting them there.
RR
Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
saw a huge one on the shore of mt. storm lake years ago, its close and you could look into hunting them there.
RR
Most of the hunting land around there is leased by hunting clubs.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Have you ever thought of TX. They do nights hunt here. I have several big ones on my cameras but they stay hidden during the day like you said. The biggest boar I took was by chance on a deer hunt when I lived in GA. Good luck and hang in there.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BRUSE
Have you ever thought of TX. They do nights hunt here. I have several big ones on my cameras but they stay hidden during the day like you said. The biggest boar I took was by chance on a deer hunt when I lived in GA. Good luck and hang in there.
Thats what I noticed, is many big hogs are taken by deer hunters.

I have never hunted TX. I got other wish lists for TX like alligator gar with longbow.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
RR

I have seen some big wild hogs in WV, but mostly in Boone County. I wonder if you can hunt at night for em in WV?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure you could do the gar with a hog some where in TX. If I can get on a lease I'll keep you in mind.

I have hunt WV several times but its always been in Summers and Monroe counties. I'll have to look into Boone county and see if I can get that way.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Most of the hunting land around there is leased by hunting clubs.
yup, and since its a big club (100,000 acres plus I believe) its not that hard to get in, I know of no one who wanted in and willing to pay the reasonable fees who isn't in.
RR
Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Spike

We have a hunting club in South Ga. Lots of big hogs, no dogs though.
Sandlake Hunting Club
Jason Purdee
706-239-8043
Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Spike

I've gone hog hunting in Texas only. The biggest ones I've seen there are 200 pounds or so. My hunting buddy and his wife just got back from a hog hunt in Tennessee, and they both took hogs over 400 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.