Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
need advice hunting hog. never caught one >

need advice hunting hog. never caught one

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

need advice hunting hog. never caught one

Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Spike

Default need advice hunting hog. never caught one

Hi I was wondering what would be the proper steps?

What I had in mind was to set a camo tent and just sit and wait where there are ruts made by the hogs.

I am new to hog hunting so was hoping if anyone has some advice
Old 03-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Spike

Bump any advice?

Is it better to sit still and wait or walk and hunt?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Spike

Corn is gold for a reason... Just saying. Put about 1/3-1/4 of corn in a 5 gallon bucket and poor as much beer as you need to cover it all. Not the nicest or most expensive, whatever's cheapest or have around. Set it in the sun for a week at least. It gets real funky. Pour it out in the area you want to hunt. A tent blind should be fine. If they don't come running to that then get cherry or strawberry jello powder and throw it in the air so it disperses a long distance. A pigs nose is his best defense. Scent killer is a good idea. That's why I said so many "flavorful" baits. If you're somewhat concealed and still then they won't see you. But you won't ever fool their nose.

Bonus bait: deer corn, mustard, water, a can of cream corn, aspuragus, potatoes, and 1 can of beer.

After they gt to coming a bunch then you can ween them down to dry corn. I use the first one regularly. The jello has seemed to work the best, but coons love it too, so be wary.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends can you hunt them at night in your state? I would put bait 20-30yds from where you put your blind.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Spike

The best luck I have had with hunting hogs has been walking water ways, IE: next to rivers, large creeks and marsh areas. I have had some luck hunting from a blind or a stand but trying to get a climber or a blind up in some places is a pain. Where I am located at we are not allowed to bait or hunt at night (Ft Benning, GA) so walking pays off but sucks when you have to drag a 200lbs+ hog through the woods (Good workout though). If you have an area in mind that shows the signs of activity set a trail camera up to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into because there is nothing like getting charged by more hogs than you have rounds. I say this because it has happened to me and I knew the area (I wasn't prepared). If you don't have a trail camera the only thing to do is walk the area. Keep in mind that an average sounder (group of hogs) is about 10 to 15 hogs (that is here in Georgia) and stay in about a 3.5 SQ KM, so it is a good idea to have another person or two with you with rifles also (DON'T WALK UNARMED). I have taken most hogs betwen 2 hrs before and 30min before sunset. Make sure you walk into the wind because as 00possum said "A pigs nose is his best defense" and "Scent killer is a good idea". When you walk, make sure you walk slow and look around you because you might not see them in thick brush. Once you get into the grove of hunting hogs you will start picking up on things that help you out in your area. I have had a very good year where I am at by just walking and taking 19 Hogs. Pick a relible rifle to hunt with. I use a Remmington bolt action .270 with 180 grain core lokt round. I also carry a Glock 21 (.45 Cal) pistol for just in case IE: snakes (I hate snakes). When you aim to take your shot try and get a clear shot on the neck or behind the shoulder.

Hope this helps out and once you get into hunting hog it its very fun, taste good and in most places it is year around.

Last edited by JohnB11B; 03-23-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Spike

Corn an area for a while then bring bullets. Areas they root are a good starting point. Think early and late or rainy days. Damn things are getting nocturnal.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Spike

It's going to depend on what state you're hunting in. As 00possum said, baiting with a feeder works great. I like mixing some diesel fuel with Kool-Aid mix and adding it to the corn. The diesel keeps raccoons and other annoyances away and the hogs love it since it helps clean out parasites. The Kool-Aid just makes it nice and sweet. If you can't bait I recommend researching what hog sign looks like and hunting that. Your best bet will most likely be to set up somewhere where you've got a clear line of sight from an active wallow and the thick brush with a small trail leading out to the wallow. Should give you a pretty good shot and they'll typically travel the trail a couple times a day. Like everyone has said, make sure you keep your scent in check. Quickest way to get caught. As sniper said, they're pretty nocturnal so if you can't hunt at night then dawn or dusk is your best chance.