HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Leaving soon for our Hog Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/388902-leaving-soon-our-hog-hunt.html)

Tnhunter444 01-11-2014 10:59 AM

Leaving soon for our Hog Hunt

3 Attachment(s)
We will be leaving on what will be our 8th annual hog hunt on Friday. It will also be our second such hunt with us providing a free hunt and rifle for a very deserving service member. Last January we had an outstanding hunt with our special guest being a Marine who had been badly injured in Afghanistan. It was certainly great watching our special guest take three hogs with his new rifle & scope on our four day hunt. Along with his Dad, who also accompanied him and took a hog, they needed to buy some extra coolers to bring all the meat back from their 4 hogs!

I am hopeful that this year's guest, a soldier also injured badly in Afghanistan, can also smoke a hog or two with his new rifle. This year's guest will be receiving a brand new Winchester M70 Featherweight in 30/06 topped with a Leupold VX2 3-9x40. This rifle was purchased with funds donated by various acquaintances of mine from seven different states and the scope was donated by another friend. Our guest is very excited about his hunt and he knows nothing about the rifle we will be giving him when he ultimately arrives in Georgia.

I would like to give a "shout out" to a couple outstanding organizations that helped us get together with this deserving service member. Both the "Combat Helicopter Pilot's Association" where I am a member and the organization "Operation Second Chance" were instrumental in our planning and logistics for the hunt. "Operation Second Chance" is also paying for our guest's flight from the Washington D.C. area (where he is still undergoing therapy) to Georgia and they are also providing a volunteer ****** to accompany our guest to and on the hunt. I cannot thank either organization enough for the help they have provided us!

Below are a couple pictures of the rifle we will be giving to our hunter. I will be doing the final sight-in work on Tuesday in preparation for our departure for Georgia on Friday morning. Another picture is of our guest last year as he looks at his new rifle for the very first time. Again, he took three hogs with that new rifle on our four day hunt. It was simply an absolutely wonderful experience for all of us who were there and hunting with this great, young American.

Please keep your fingers crossed in hopes our guest this year gets lucky and sees some honker hogs on his four day hunt! Thanks.

Topgun 3006 01-11-2014 11:19 AM

Good luck and you couldn't have picked a nicer setup for him. I have a "like new" pre 64 Model 70 in 30-06 with the same scope on it and it is quite a shooter. Keep up the good work, as that is an awesome program you have going!!!

ahunter55 01-13-2014 08:27 AM

Great, keep us posted & have a fun, enjoyable hunt.

Tnhunter444 01-15-2014 05:36 AM

Thanks! I finished sighting in the gift rifle for our veteran yesterday. It took a few tries with a few different loads and a couple of range sessions, but I found some ammo it seems to really like now; good old Remington 180gr Core-Lokts. I got three groups of 1 1/8" or smaller with that load and have it dialed in for him right at 2" high @ 100 yards. He should be good to go on some Georgia porkers out to 225-250 yards or so. Now we'll keep our fingers crossed that he gets to see one of the big ones that roam the areas we hunt there. :fighting0007: