Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog charges hunter

Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hog charges hunter

Gotta wonder why he did not shoot sooner. I realize he might have been worried about the dogs but muck the dogs. He could have been seriously hurt or killed.

To qoute one of my favorite movies. " The French"

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/new...src=SOC&dom=fb
Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

A hogs eyesight is very poor and with him standing still he probably looked like a tree when the hog was really just running from the dogs. You wouldn't say muck the dogs if one was yours and FYI a good one is worth a lot of money.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-10-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the initial encounter was an actual charge. Looked to me like it was running from the dogs and just happened to head to the hunter. This isn't too unusual with things that don't see well. The second encounter, maybe a charge maybe not. You can't see what is around. If they guy was set up in an escape route the hog may have still tried to use it. Actual full blown charges are pretty rare. Here's an example:

Years ago I was hunting plains game north of Thabazimbi, RSA. The place we were hunting had 6 or 7 white rhino on it for breeding purposes. They were not to be shot. One day the PH and I were after a herd of blue wildebeest and tracked them into a mopane thicket. We didn't even know that rhinos were in the thicket since they came in from the other side but there was a bull and cow there. We spooked them and the cow was pointing away from us and that is where she went. The bull was facing us and that is where he went. He passed us at about 15 feet. Mind you, he wasn't charging he was simply going in the direction he had been facing.

I could have come back to the USA with "bone chilling" stories about surviving a rhino charge when in fact I was merely standing still and letting him run passed and was perfectly safe. By the way, we got the wildebeest right at dark.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You wouldn't say muck the dogs if one was yours
Exactly.....
Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Dropped his double rifle too! Charge or no charge, pretty neat video.

Since I don't understand French(??), I'm figuring he's asking if anyone brought an extra pair of clean pants at the end there....

Last edited by Tnhunter444; 01-11-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444

Since I don't understand French(??), I'm figuring he's asking if anyone brought an extra pair of clean pants at the end there....

***Probably, LOL!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444

Possibly!!! Colored drawers only though. They use the white ones to make retreat flags too often!!!!!