Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle? >

Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle?

Have my first Boar hunt next weekend at Loshbough Hunting in Western Tenn. Really want to take my bow but Im not sure if I am good enough yet. I tend to get "Buck fever" when I get an animal out in front of me, even if I am a good shot at the range. I guess we are going to have them bayed with dogs but I still dont want to get run over because I had to get so close with a bow. Im shooting 430 gr arrows with NAP Hell Razors out of my 62lb Bear Encounter so I think I have enough power to put down a big porker.

Wife wants me to be safe and use the .308 Win but Id rather use the bow... any have any experience with running big Boars with dogs and using a bow?

Did I mention my uncle shot an 850 lb Hog last year at the same spot? (Average is 300-500 though)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the hog !

Last edited by mohunter09; 09-04-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate the advice but Id argue about the weight. Here is the website with some pictures and my Grandfather and Uncle have gone down every year for the past ten years. Last two years my Grandfather has shot 450 pounders, along with my uncles 850 lb. I used the record is something like 1300 lbs from that area.

http://loshbough.com/
Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

The world record is just over 1000 pounds..and you can go to the website of the place I hunted there was one 400+ pound hog on the property and they are very hard to find. I went to the website of the place you speak of I dont see a single hog over the 400 pound range if they are 500 its just barely. A 625 pound hog was killed at the place I went and hes the size of a damn car, not trying to be rude but either they arent showing you actual weight and youre guessing or youve been told one too many big fish stories! The price of the hunt is 725 by the way which is insanely high. Ours was 300 for the same exact thing, and the hogs judging from the pictures are no different in size mose look the be in mid 200s and a few rare exceptions.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Well this time tomorrow I should have one on the ground so Ill let ya know what it weighs!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Here's my hog. Weighed 353 field dressed. The other guys had hogs just slightly smaller but the lodge was full of 500 pounders mounted. Took three shots with my bow. First shot he was quartering towards me and I hit one lung and his liver, complete pass thru. The next arrow was a perfect double lung and was still fighting. Third shot hit him hard in the heart and stuck there and he still wobbled before hitting the ground. These suckers are tough!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Spike

Novice, I'm originally from the Dayton area. Now about a hundred miles north. Been looking to go on a hog hunt with some friends from work. Looks like you enjoyed yourself.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice boar, and good job with the bow.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Here's my hog. Weighed 353 field dressed. The other guys had hogs just slightly smaller but the lodge was full of 500 pounders mounted. Took three shots with my bow. First shot he was quartering towards me and I hit one lung and his liver, complete pass thru. The next arrow was a perfect double lung and was still fighting. Third shot hit him hard in the heart and stuck there and he still wobbled before hitting the ground. These suckers are tough!

Nice hogs!! They are a blast to hunt!!! And What scale were you using to weight these animals? If your hog weighed 353 FD, then it was over 450 live weight. We have taken hogs with everything from pistols,.22 rifles , big bore rifles, bows, muzzleloaders and finally knives. I was born,raised and hunted all over Texas. I have hunted Tenn, Ky, OK, Ala, La and Flo. for hogs and where we have hunted, that hog would not weigh 450 on the hoof. That hog would weigh 350 live at best. The 3 behind you will go in the 200+ neighborhood. They look big, but really don't carry the weight like everyone thinks they do.
These are some of the hogs we just killed in Pauls Valley OK. My sons, the first pic, was just over 260 dressed and he is 6'4" and 260#. Mine in the middle with knife pic. My biggest was 172# dressed, the spotted one. My dads was just over 200 dressed with 4" cutters. And then my brother was a knife kill and weighed 217# dressed. He is 6'6" and 280 for size comparisons. It was a 3 generation hunt and a surprise for my dad and son as a Christmas present!!!
Attached Thumbnails Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle?-100_2344.jpg   Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle?-100_2381.jpg   Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle?-100_2360.jpg   Tenn Boar hunt next weekend. Bow or Rifle?-100_2346.jpg  

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-13-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the hog.

i've hunted and trapped hundreds of wild hogs. Many of the wild hogs here have Eurasian boar blood. A 300 pound live weight wild hog is rare, 400 pound wild hogs are almost non existent. i've killed two or three that approached 400 pounds; the heaviest weighed 384 pounds.

The hog the OP is pictured with would weigh less than 300 pounds on Oklahoma scales. Those big floppy ears are the giveaway as to the hogs origin; a pig farm. That place in TN buys some of its hogs.

Last edited by falcon; 11-13-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.