Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Sambar Deer in Florida

Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Spike

Thumbs down Sambar Deer in Florida

Hay ya’ll,
After five years of applying my wife and I got selected for the Sambar Deer hunt on St. Vincent’s Island. We did the white tail hunt there a couple of years ago and had a great time so we know about the snakes, bugs, camping, unpredictable weather and will definitely be taking a bicycle this time.

Does any have any useful tips or information on hunting these beasts? I would love to hear from someone who has done it before. I know it’s a low probability hunt and would like to be as prepared as possible. I am thinking about taking my boat out for a pre-hunt scouting trip a couple of weeks in advance.

If anyone is reading this from out west, I would like to talk about Black Powder loads for elk and shot placement on an animal like this. I usually take shoulder shots on deer and hogs, it stops them in their tracks but I have never hunted anything this heavily boned, so I don’t know how wise that would be with a muzzle loader on this critter.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Spike

you cant make any pre plans on it as it totally is based on prediction and cant be said exactly what hunt you may do on. but you could only wish to have a practice of shooting
Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JGeBaide
Hay ya’ll,
After five years of applying my wife and I got selected for the Sambar Deer hunt on St. Vincent’s Island. We did the white tail hunt there a couple of years ago and had a great time so we know about the snakes, bugs, camping, unpredictable weather and will definitely be taking a bicycle this time.

Does any have any useful tips or information on hunting these beasts? I would love to hear from someone who has done it before. I know it’s a low probability hunt and would like to be as prepared as possible. I am thinking about taking my boat out for a pre-hunt scouting trip a couple of weeks in advance.

If anyone is reading this from out west, I would like to talk about Black Powder loads for elk and shot placement on an animal like this. I usually take shoulder shots on deer and hogs, it stops them in their tracks but I have never hunted anything this heavily boned, so I don’t know how wise that would be with a muzzle loader on this critter.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Sambar are our main game animal in Australia. If you want any tips on them feel free to send me a pm.