Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Exotics are Destroying our Hunter Heritage. >

Exotics are Destroying our Hunter Heritage.

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Exotics are Destroying our Hunter Heritage.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ahunter55
Now adays, I doubt all the free range hunters are hunting a property over 200 to 400 private acres if they are lucky-in the midwest anyway. Hell, many of todays hunters get lost if it's over 100 acres unless they have their GPS, trail cameras, Buck Lure & food plots. yea, it's fair chase these days. In fact, it's so fair (free range) that guy's have a hit list & their Bucks have names.. You can condem others all you want, but when many look in their bag of tricks their not much above hunting a fence..
Yep.
Haven't read the rest of this thread, but I will address the OP. I will openly admit that I am from Texas, I have and do hunt on a highfence every year. Said high fence encloses 50,000 acres, and also get to hunt a low fence property with 30,000 acres. Said property has no exotics, no farming/breeding, only native deer doing there thing. The highfence is a highfence for one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to gain the ability to become an MLD 3 property for both Whitetails and Muleys.

Now you have exhibited an extreme amount of ignorance on this topic, until you have experienced a high fence like the one I have hunted on then you have no friggin clue what you are talking about. Are you honestly going to compare a 50,000 acre highfence to a 20 acre pen? That make no sense at all you know how big 50,000 acres is? That is 78 SQ miles, yes I said 78 SQ MILES or another way of putting it is not quite 9 miles by 9 miles square with no fences on the inside just around the perimeter. You honestly think a deer in the interior of that ranch knows he is in a highfence? Heck he will not ever see that fence in his lifetime.
2nd Many of the deer species in Texas that are free roaming, (just like yalls hogs) are free ranging with self sustaining populations aka Axis, Blackbuck, Fallow, and several others. Also you know what all of these have in common? They are all non African, think India instead lol. Also I bet you were one of the sorry suckers that supported Congresses legislating exotics in Texas last year weren't you? You know what that directly led to? It led to a species that is Extinct in its home country almost getting wiped off the face of the earth because it was no longer profitable to keep it. So why keep it? Also unless you have ever hunted a free range Auodad in the Davis Mts you sir have no freaking clue what hunting is. For that is as close to real hunting as you can get.
3rd Why do you care if deer are shot out of a pickup or out of a stand? Either way you are both doing the same thing, sitting on your arse waiting to see game, nothing sporting about either you are shooting game coming to you or you going to it, big freaking whoop. And also how else do plan on shooting the amount of does that is required for keeping an MLD property healthy? Only way to do that is to hunt out of a hightop and shooting every doe you see that day until you are out of tags.
I will return to address other issues in a bit after I read the rest of the thread so this will do for now.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Buck426
So your shooting free ranging pets? No more different then shooting someones dog who has been away from his owner.

Once again.

**Your shooting livestock.
**A pen is a pen.
**They are outcompeting our god-given whitetails and turkeys.
**Our newest generation is going to be brainwashed by these high fence pet shoots. Why do you think we are loosing so much interest from young uns? Time to split off this sickened tumor(canned hunting) from the rest of the body(REAL DIY hunting).
**How many hunters are against canned exotic hunts? I forgot. LOTS.
**We need to exterminate ALL EXOTICS. Give me unlimited ammo and time, and I'll solve Texas's exotic pet problem.
**I could give a $hit if they go extinct in their home land. Just let them die off naturally instead of shoving our noses into business and bringing them over as pets and outcompeting REAL GAME ANIMALS.
You come down here and start shooting at peoples exotics and you are liable to get shot, I know I would be shooting at your ignorant butt. Also you are nuts if you think they are pushing out the native whitetails, in several areas the native whitetail are pushing out the native mule deer. I would rather have the mule deer personally so I guess I just need to go start wiping the whites out of the bar ditches.
As I said in my other post they are not penned in many areas and they are not livestock. Also I know many munchkins that were introduced to the sport by getting to go to a summer camp to hunt exotics during the summer. Also a very good opportunity to hunt year round, and they taste mighty fine. Also our exotics are not a problem, we embrace the fact that we have other targets to hunt year round.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***Amen to that Brother, but he's one of those "real hunters", even though he doesn't know squat about what he's posting, LOL! Comparing free ranging Aoudad on millions of unfenced acres out in west Texas where there aren't any whitetails, as as well Nilgai on millions of unfenced acres in se Texas where the whitetails are incredible in numbers and are not competing with anything other than maybe the climate shows he knows not of what he speaks! He'll probably be back with another gem or two, but I've had enough of him and will not respond any longer, as suggested by the previous poster. If everyone elses does the same, maybe he will go away and this thread will die a peaceful death.
Amen, this ^^^ guy knows what he is talking about.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

While I'm very glad that exotics ranches out west with K's of acres, will continue with game like Oryx, there is also a growing problem in some areas of the midwest & eastern states with such hunts.

The problem is that, they don't offer hunts at all. Just a chance to shoot a animal in a pen you can see across.

So how to control this industry & it is a industry that is growing fast, perhaps to fast for all our good. I really, really wish I could see even a difficult answer to how to do that.....

BUT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM ISN'T HIGH FENCED OPERATIONS, IT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING TO HUNTING & HUNTER ETHICS IN THE USA.

There is a place, only a short drive from where I live, that is now offering "Elk hunts" The guy only owns 30 acres...... A second such "hunting operation" is offering whitetail hunts & he owns 42 acres....but you can buy a hunt for "trophy" whitetails there. Both are less than a 20 min. drive from me.

Where I live there are very, very few blocks of habitat remaining of over 500 acres & if you eliminate river bottoms that are relatively narrow strips of habitat......you can count the 500 acre blocks in my county on your 2 hands. Most of my area is cleared farm land, just small blocks of woods, the majority of which are under 40 acres. This does not mean you can't have a good & ethical hunt in my area, you can. OR you can get 4-6 guys together & do drives if the numerous small wood lots of 10-15 acres and get everyone of your tags filled in about 2 days of such "hunting" .........though slaughtering would be a far more accurate name for that.

Hunting has some real issues to deal with, and NOW.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by maindivideoutfitters
High Fenced hunting has been brought about by the ability of some hunters and if nobody hunted high fence there would not be a market for it. i see how you guys can get upset with it all i do not condone it. but to be honest. i know in new zealand if you wanted to hunt animals free range in there natural enviroment is a lot of work can take weeks to shoot the right animal where in a high fenced area it would only take a couple of days. i take an lot of pride in hunting free range here in New Zealand and outfitting it to the world makes it so much more enjoyable to get good keen DIY hunting type of guys there first red stag, tahr, chamoi, fallow, sika, whitetail free range in nz.
By that same reasoning, guns wouldn't exist if no one used them, or cars wouldn't exist if there was not a market. Off point, but in NZ, are there free ranged Red Stag? I believe they were imported over right? From what ive read, I think the reason behind red stag high fenced hunt is to protect their investments in growing them so that people have the ability to hunt them.

I may be totally wrong though as I know nothing about free range in NZ.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by westtexducks
You come down here and start shooting at peoples exotics and you are liable to get shot, I know I would be shooting at your ignorant butt. Also you are nuts if you think they are pushing out the native whitetails, in several areas the native whitetail are pushing out the native mule deer. I would rather have the mule deer personally so I guess I just need to go start wiping the whites out of the bar ditches.
As I said in my other post they are not penned in many areas and they are not livestock. Also I know many munchkins that were introduced to the sport by getting to go to a summer camp to hunt exotics during the summer. Also a very good opportunity to hunt year round, and they taste mighty fine. Also our exotics are not a problem, we embrace the fact that we have other targets to hunt year round.
You do realize the guy got permabanned about 5 pages ago and everybody else that's still here agrees with you???

Last edited by CalHunter; 09-15-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

shhh, we can start this debate again.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Well, here's to another 10 pages!! Please keep it clean!!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

I don't see the point when there is plenty of game in everyone's backyard, I'm sure if u wanted to hunt something different a plane ticket and all licenses to hunt these species would be cheaper than booking at a farm. Can anyone honestly say it takes skill to catch a stocked trout? I'd rather eat a Brookie any day. If you kill an animal that was imported and put in a fence that's fine by me but don't tell your wife kids family and friends that you hunted it tell them the truth and say you paid a farmer to harvest some of his livestock with your weapon of choice.

Last edited by westMDbowhunter; 12-15-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Spike

I agree with the OP 110%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.