Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Stalking Vs Tree stand

Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Spike

Default Stalking Vs Tree stand

I just moved to Florida, and have gone to Green Swamp WMA twice. I was told the best method to hunt hogs is to quietly walk the old roads, listened for the hogs as they feed, then to stalk up on them. I spent many hours on my feet and had no luck, but saw PLTENY of areas the pigs had torn up.
As a walked the roads I saw many tree stands, and am beginning to think that is the way to go. I am new to this pig hunting, and really want a few for the freezer.
Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Gabriel
Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Spike

Wondering about this myself..
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about in Florida; but most of us in Texas use a stand and hunt over baited areas.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

GP I hunt the Green Swamp WMA as well. I prefer to stock the hogs and hunt that way. I killed a big hog this morning actually. Your gonna have to find them in the morning because once it warms up they will be bedded down in the thick palmettos. I find where they root at night on the old roads and follow trails to the thick palmettos. In the morning I hunt the trails in between the locations. All my kills come before 8 am and usually right at 7.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I hope to get out to the WMA this Saturday and put the stalk on. Who knows, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

I've found more hogs down by the river. Just be ready to walk through the thick stuff and away from the other hunters.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Get at em Early set up between the feed and thier bedding area, or spot and stalk starting from there bedding area and move to where they feed. You need to figure out there schedual first and there moving patterns.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the good tips. I am heading on on Monday to fill the freezer!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Take a camera I want to see some Boars down pictures!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Spike

Will take my camera for the pictures of my fresh bacon. And also I am going to take a game camera and set it up too. Hope to get some good pics with it over the next few weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.