Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Best Hog Bait?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Spike

Default Best Hog Bait?

I have used sour corn and it works well, but I like to try new things, and don't like to buy baits. What homemade baits for the best. I use them in traps and at feeders in South Texas.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Plain old shelled corn. If you want to jazz it up, sprinkle some strawberry jello and/or brown sugar on the corn in and around the trap. Hogs have a sweet tooth, they can't resist strawberry jello and brown sugar.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Plain old shelled corn. If you want to jazz it up, sprinkle some strawberry jello and/or brown sugar on the corn in and around the trap. Hogs have a sweet tooth, they can't resist strawberry jello and brown sugar.
Ive heard this as well raspberry jello too
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by falcon View Post

I agree with falcon hogs do have a sweet tooth. Something else I've found that works and stinks worse than soured corn is soured Milo; and it takes half the time to sour it up.

I use to soured Milo for carp; it will sure bring them in. I catch carp for cut bait on my jug lines for catfish and it stinks so bad I decided to try in on pigs and it works. They can smell that nasty smell for miles. Bury in a few feet in the ground and they will keep digging there long after it's gone.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Milo realy haha never thought of that. I could see why they would come.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum View Post
Milo realy haha never thought of that. I could see why they would come.
Soured Milo STINKS like a scalded goat.

I've known guys that use rotten taters; but I guess anything that gets their attention would do the trick.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Spike

I'm not familiar with what milo is. Could someone please elaborate?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not familiar with what milo is. Could someone please elaborate?
It's grain sorghum. This is a game plot with milo and cow peas. The peas climb the milo stalks. Hogs love milo. Sometimes they they set up shop in my game plots.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ndClayPeas.jpg

More:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-701-1

Last edited by falcon; 01-16-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hogs will come to a variety of scents. I've mixed vanilla in with bait before, or just put some on a rag and tied it to the top of a trap.

Diesel also works. You can soak a rag or a burlap sack in diesel, tie it around a tree, and the hogs will rub up against it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Spike

Oh okay. Probably not something I'm going to come across in the middle of winter then lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.