Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Are wild hogs good eating? >

Are wild hogs good eating?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Are wild hogs good eating?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default Javelina!

2 Years ago we managed to get a Javelina in northern Arizona .
We didn't know what to do with it so we bought this Spice mix from Spice N Slice. ( www.spicenslice.com ) they had a spice mix called javelin helpr . a mix designed to camouflage the gamey flavors . we ground the whole pig adding 5% pork fat and mixed it up with these spices .. which changed the whole thing to be actually great . this pig didn't last us much time after flavoring . the pig before that .. was just to gamey and it went bad over time . .
Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Spike

First of all...the only dumb qusetion is the one that is not asked!
A real treat

I have been hunting hogs in Florida for over 1/2 a century. I have learned a great deal of respect for this brute with huge teeth, an unbelievable nose, and an attitude...all bad.
I have been chased by them and had the living daylights knocked out of me by them. About fifteen years ago I decided enough was enough. I switched to a 45/70; they chase me no more.
Properly prepared the wild hog, even big boars, can be very tasty.
Tricks of the trade:
Particularly if it weather is warm, say anywhere approaching 70, it's of paramount importance to dress and ice down the hog ASAP. I then like to soak the meat for 3-4 days in a mixture of ice water, plenty of ice, salt, and apple cider vinegar. If bloody, change the water several times. De-boned our trophy is ready for the vacuum sealer. Nothing but quality:

NEXT UP: On larger hogs, 100 + pounds, 8-10 hours in a slow cooker works wonders.

In a stew with onions, potatoes, carrots, etc. our big boy provides a meal fit for a king.
Home made country pork sausage. Unbelievable!

My all time favorite: Young porkers 60-75 pounds on the grill. Fantastic!

The wild hog, male or female, can be very tasty. I would suggest being extremely skeptical of one that has been allowed to get too hot, or has been run by dogs. Other than that, the hog hunter is in for a real treat.
Bob Harbison Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Spike

Great info guys. Thanks!