Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Are wild hogs good eating? >

Are wild hogs good eating?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Are wild hogs good eating?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Spike

Wild hog tastes HORRIBLE!
Don't eat it!
Shoot as many hogs as you can, give 'em to me and I'll get rid of the meat.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
i trap and shoot a large number of wild hogs. Killed a few boars that approached 400 pounds. All the "strong tasting" hog meat i've ever seen was rotten or tainted hog meat. Yep, the meat from a big boar hog can be tough.

You should see how some guys care for a hog after it is killed. They get dirt and hair on the meat, burst the bladder and get urine all over the inside, they get semen on the meat, etc. If the hog is really dirty i take it by the carwash before field dressing.

When the temperature is 80 degrees one has about four hours to get a hog carcass cooled before is starts to spoil. There is a butcher in OK who has a reputation for allowing hog carcasses to spoil in his cooler. Gave a friend a big well cared for sow, he took it to that butcher who let it hang in his cooler for over two weeks before butchering. The meat was spoiled.
all i can say is wow...as far as letting it hang, when the rigor goes away, that's the time to cut it up. as far as a car wash goes, alot of those recycle water. usually only the spot free rinse is fresh water, that's why it comes out so slow. i didnt know that fer years. wait til ya get home to skin em if ya aint got a cooler big enough, that way the meat dont get dirty.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brazilnut
Wild hog tastes HORRIBLE!
Don't eat it!
Shoot as many hogs as you can, give 'em to me and I'll get rid of the meat.
dont be throwing that farm raised pig in there actin like its wild lol...never seen a hog that size with that much fat gathered in one area lol
Old 10-25-2012, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

as far as a car wash goes, alot of those recycle water. usually only the spot free rinse is fresh water, that's why it comes out so slow.
The car wash i use to wash hogs is 100 percent fresh water. i'm friends with the guy who owns it.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hog's diet has a huge effect on the flavor of meat. If you can get hogs that have fed mostly in peanut, sweet potato fields, or fruit / nut orchards ...prepare for some broke da mouth good eating.

Also, bad recipes and poor cooking have ruined a lot of game meat.

Good meat + bad cook(ing) = bad meal
Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Spike

I grilled some wild boar pork chops today....damn dat sum b*tch was good; that and the roasted potatoes made me a happy person. The boar was taken this past June on a hunt. It weighed around 170 lbs.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

With pigs, smaller and younger is better.

The bigger and older it is, the worse the musky odor and taste.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Shoobee
With pigs, smaller and younger is better.

The bigger and older it is, the worse the musky odor and taste.
sounds the buzzer...not true...a 200lb'er is just as good as a 50 lb'er
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Spike

How much diff does wild boar taste from store bought big? I mean if I shot a boar(say a 100 pounder) and had pork chops and bacon made out of it from my local butcher would I be able to tell a big difference between that and my local store bought pork chop and bacon?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blb078
How much diff does wild boar taste from store bought big? I mean if I shot a boar(say a 100 pounder) and had pork chops and bacon made out of it from my local butcher would I be able to tell a big difference between that and my local store bought pork chop and bacon?
Wild hog, IMO, tastes like a mixture of pork and beef. The meat RED. Store bought is pale pink.

As others have said, so long as it wasn't a big boar hog and you took care not to spill bladder, it will be alright.

The best preparation for hog is smoked. Apple wood is excellent. Hickory is OK too if you do them with a rub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.