HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   protection pistol (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/362449-protection-pistol.html)

st42007 04-16-2012 12:42 PM

protection pistol

I'm somewhat of a new hunter, this will be my 3rd season. I bowhunt primarily and mainly shoot hogs. I am looking for a good easy to shoot size pistol to protect while in the woods hunting and looking for my kill. Twice i came up on a pig i shot with bow that wasn't dead and wanted my hind end! So, I need something that will finish off animals as well as protect from other pigs, coyotes bobcats and what not. I don't have to have a gun that will blow away, just get the job done

jc75754 04-16-2012 03:53 PM

Hard question to answer. Me personally I carry a glock 19 with 15 red of tap critical defense for the four legged critters. Gold dot for 2 legged.

der Teufel 04-16-2012 04:06 PM

Lots of room for personal preferences — if you're just finishing off a wounded animal just about anything from a .38 Special on up should work. I carry a 9mm because the ammo is cheap.

jrbsr 04-16-2012 04:38 PM

I have a Springfield 1911 in 45 acp, and a S&W model 19 in 357 magnum.
I would go with a S&W 44 magnum, for wounded hogs.
It is better to have a gun to big and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
JMHO

574mag 04-16-2012 05:38 PM

If it where me I would carry my s&w 626 .44 with a six inch barrel. It may sound like a lot of gun but it's easy to shoot and and it is enough gun to take down the meanest pig. It would really suck to be shooting at and hitting a big hog and not getting the penetration you need to put him down.

st42007 04-16-2012 07:09 PM

do they make .38 in pistol not revolvers?

Camo Mike 04-16-2012 09:23 PM

Sig Sauer 225 9mm single stack. Plenty for protection in the woods.

der Teufel 04-17-2012 04:23 PM

When I was shopping for a pistol to carry while hog hunting, I tried my Brother-in-Law's .44 magnum. Lots of recoil, and LOTS of noise. My 9mm is definitely too wimpy to use for hunting, but for a finishing shot on a wounded animal it's fine. Even an angry hog is going to think twice about continuing straight at someone shooting at them, regardless of the caliber. Besides, there's no way I would be quick enough to switch from my rifle to a pistol in time to react to a charging hog.

Having said that, I've never had a hog charge at me. Some times they've run in my general direction because I'm between them and the woods they're running for after I shoot, but they weren't specifically after me. I can cycle my bolt action rifle a lot faster than I can draw and aim a pistol.

st42007 04-17-2012 07:57 PM

True, I'm not going to be hunting with whatever I purchase, strictly gonna be with me while im in the woods and what not for finishing shots or if i do have to scare something away. i think i've settled on a 9mm unless i can find a .40cal i llike. I am fond of the bersa thunder 9mm and .40

c-rad 05-30-2012 09:23 AM

I carry a glock 20 10mm When hiking in colorado. With the right bullet it will knock down anything you run into. If you miss with the first shot you still have 14 to use. The ammo can be a little pricey if you don't reload.