Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

protection pistol

Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Do you mean a semi-auto in .38 Special? The answer is no. It is a rimmed case and autos funtion with rimless cases.
They can chamber a revolver in rimless case such as the 9m or 45, but it take either a half moon or full moon clip ring to do such.
Actually you're forgetting the S&W model 52, a target pistol chambered for .38 special wadcutters. As for backup I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .41magnum. There's NO WAY I'd trust a puny .380 or 9mm for killing a big hog bent on my destruction.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Spike

Where are you at? A 9 would be completely insufficient here and I use a 357. Shoot a bear with a wimpy 9 and I'm apt to be eaten.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
Actually you're forgetting the S&W model 52, a target pistol chambered for .38 special wadcutters. As for backup I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .41magnum. There's NO WAY I'd trust a puny .380 or 9mm for killing a big hog bent on my destruction.
I do stand VERY corrected!! I have never heard of this weapon. I looked it up and it is of rather unique design. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

The Coonan is another auto pistol that will shoot .357mag/.38special. At a mere $1200 you can have one.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Palladin8
The Coonan is another auto pistol that will shoot .357mag/.38special. At a mere $1200 you can have one.
If I am gonna spend that kind of $$$, its gonna shoot something bigger than that. It wasn't till I really sat back and thought about it that I also realized that the Desert Eagle shoots the 357 and 44 mag rounds. Guess I was just having a sleep deprived moment that I should have stayed out of this one!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Spike

For over 20 years my backup gun is a S&W model 36 loaded with my handload of 158gr SWC @ 780 fps out of that revolver using HP-38 powder. I carry it in a crossdraw holster at 10 o'clock position. It's small so it stays out of the way, it's powerful enough to finish up any hog and the recoil is mild enough to make it comfortable to shoot. It would work pretty well on any 2 legged varmint too if necessary.

Last month I used it to finish off a 155lb. hog that was shot and wounded by a neighbor next to me. One shot to the head and it expired immediately on the spot.

In past I have also used S&W model 19/66, Ruger SP101 in 357 mag and Ruger Single Six in 22 magnum. They were good guns but I just found them to be too big and/or too heavy.