Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Hunting pigs with a 20 gauge? >

Hunting pigs with a 20 gauge?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunting pigs with a 20 gauge?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Spike

Default Hunting pigs with a 20 gauge?

I'm not a hunter but respect the sport. I'm also not trolling with this post, but would like some input regarding an event regarding a feral pig. The story is not hearsay, but reported to me by the person involved.

A hunter is after quail with a 20-gauge shotgun filled with appropriate loads for birds. His dog scares up a large boar. He shoots at it with his shotgun. His intent to “blind is so it would run around in circles” and he could then continue shooting it with his shotgun until he finally killed it. He has no slugs available. The boar is bleeding but escapes, never to be found.

This occurred on property my family controls. My first reaction is this person should not be allowed to hunt on the property again. Thoughts? Am I over-reacting?

By the way, I have no problem eliminating feral pigs with clean kills. In fact, my sons and I may have a friend who hunts introduce us to the sport hunting them.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Spike

I’ve done a little more research and it looks like my question may be pretty dumb (but what do you expect from a NOOB ). I talked to someone who has hunted pigs and he told me a 20 gauge would be pretty useless (which is what I assumed). But more to the point, it is also illegal to hunt a pig with bird shot in California – you must use slugs. I also suspect he did not have a pig tag – another broken regulation. So all in all, this guy broke the law in an absurd attempt to kill a big boar.

By the way, minutes before he told me this story, his party was shooting at squirrels from inside a pick-up, which in California can apparently get you a ticket as well.

So anyway, I don't expect folks to answer the obvious, but if you do have some thoughts, they would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Inactive

Sounds like this guy is not to smart. He apparently doesn't know much about hunting, or the game he's after. I'd politely tell him not to ever come back to your property. It sure sounds like neither he nor his buddies have very much knowledge of the hunting regs. in California, or no respect for the law.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input x-mountie. It's been a free-for-all on the property with relatives, etc., using the property. I'm thinking we'll require all hunters to notify us any time they will be on the property, and at that time we will require that they be licensed and follow all regulations.

Last edited by jonp; 03-27-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO: You have overlooked or minimalized the issue of liability. When hunters run amok on your property; you are liable if someone gets shot.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by falcon
IMO: You have overlooked or minimalized the issue of liability. When hunters run amok on your property; you are liable if someone gets shot.
Thanks! Excellent point. If the liability issue is real (which I'm not questioning), then it would seem a hunting lease with indemnities and insurance is called for. Guess it's time to talk to a lawyer...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Spike

I’ve done some digging on the liability issue, and though this is not the final answer, it looks like the lawyers lost and recreationists (including hunters) won. In California the Civil Code (846) says in part: “An owner of … real property… who gives permission to another for entry or use for the above purpose [which includes hunting] … does not thereby … assume responsibility for or incur liability for any injury to person or property caused by any act of such person to whom permission has been granted…” There are some exceptions, but it looks like the landowner is protected from acts committed by hunters and other recreationists. It appears there are similar statutes in at least some other states. This is really good news for hunters (and landowners alike) because otherwise, landowners would be very cautious about allowing people on their property.

Of course, if you are a landowner, you need to research this for yourself and come to your own conclusions, because I am not a lawyer.

Last edited by jonp; 03-29-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

All law issues aside, this guy is a loose cannon. Willing to blind a hog & then finish it off later? I would never be caught dead with the likes of this guy. We all know that sometimes the kill isn't as instant as it should be, but we strive to harvest all game as quickly & humanely as possible. Totally wrong to assume that a hog or coyote can be "winged" until we get around to a proper shot placement. Do it right or don't do it at all. I let about 2 dozen hogs walk last weekend because I knew my #6 turkey shot wouldn't knock them down fast. Either hit 'em hard, or let 'em walk IMHO...
Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is really good news for hunters (and landowners alike) because otherwise, landowners would be very cautious about allowing people on their property.
Don't be so sure about that until you consult a lawyer. There have been numerous civil lawsuits against landowners by hunters. A friend in WV lost his farm when a hunter fell out of the treestand he installed himself. People banded together, bought the farm at the auction and gave it back to the farmer. All the farms in that county are now posted.

All our properties are posted; very few are allowed to hunt. i would not allow a guy like the one in your post on my property.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Spike

always get them to sign a lease agreement with your specific rules inside the law of course , which is a bind contract . and u can add extra things, call one week ahead before intering property and let them now u and or the game warden well be spot checking , also any law breaking activaty caught or found . you well be ask to leave forever no refund, and have 24-36 hrs to get all there hunting stuff off property .and if caught after the fact file treaspasing on them. keep local peace officers at u side when u do this and you have less problems ..make the guest buy there on insurance etc ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.