Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Hunting pigs with a 20 gauge? >

Hunting pigs with a 20 gauge?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunting pigs with a 20 gauge?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

All of these legal issues with private property have gotten very frustrating in recent years. Not so long ago in the area I hunt everybody shared the land. No one was posted. And usually on day two or three certain seasons all the locals would get together and put some big drives on. Everyone sharing the property. That has ALL changed now. And that's just the way the world is moving. A landowner needs to protect themselves and their property. My suggestion to you is this:
#1) Have everyone who hunts it contact you prior to the season for permission. Give permission to those you trust, and say no to those you don't.
#2) If a person wants to bring a guest hunting they need to contact you a few days prior. Allow guests within reason. A big part of hunting is the time spent with fellow hunters.
#3) If somebody screws around, they're off. If it's minor, give a warning. But "Blinding a Hog" you don't need that happening on your land. So, they're off.

I wouldn't require a person to contact you each time they go. That could get old for both you and them. Maybe have a set "parking area" or a sign in list somewhere or something if you need to know who's there. But as long as permission is given prior to going and you trust those hunting your land you shouldn't need to know a week ahead of time or whatever.

I hope this helps. The days of just heading out and hunting are past. And it's not the landowners fault. It's hunters who did not respect the blessings they were being given. Good luck managing your propert! And my advice to you: Get out and hunt some pigs! You'll find it to be a rewarding experience, and it'll lower the number of nuisance animals in your area!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Spike

Sorry I haven't responded sooner - been distracted. Thank you all for your replies! They have been very helpful. I will definitely heed your advice and warnings. I actually have a lawyer looking into the statute I mentioned, and will report back when I hear from him.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

i wouldnt want that guy hunting on my land. Hes either ignorant of his guns capabilities (birdshot on a hog), or hes reckless and doesnt care (hoping to wound an animal with a marginal shot bad enough to kill with a followup). Even as a nuisance animal, the hog still deserves to be put down proper imo
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I promise you even with a law like that, if this bozo did something to hurt someone else, the plantiff would say: "you knew about this guy's law breaking and dangerous behavior and did nothing about it?" That would probably negate the law due to "gross negligence".

I am a hunter to the max, and I would personally never have this guy allowed on the property again! I hate pigs on my property with a passion because they are so destructive, but NEVER allow any activities that would produce suffering in any animal.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Spike

Thanks again for all the feedback. Some really great advice. Haven’t heard back from the lawyer, but will let you know when I do.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Spike

I lived in Jamaica for 3 years, and went hunting with the locals. They would go after wild hogs with low base #6's and it would do the job. They would get in close. I've seen it done, and spit the shot out of the jerked pork. When I suggested slugs or buckshot, they asked, why?

Now, I this isn't my recommendation, just don't discount a load of low base 20 gauge. It's not a toy, I've seen it in action.
Shotgun
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Spike

Jon -
Are you having issues with confronting this guy? You don't need a lawyer (or us) to tell you that he was being reckless. If a lawyer comes back and tells you that you're not LEGALLY liable for his actions, you should not use that as an excuse to allow reckless behavior from hunters on your land. Take some personal responsibility and regulate the friends and family that you allow to hunt on your land. A big part of the gun owning and hunting gig is having a sense of ethics and doing what's right. Even though you don't hunt, if you're going to let others hunt on your land, then you assume part of the responsibility to be sure they're doing so safely.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Reckless? Maybe. How do we know the guy wasn't scared for the life of his dog? I doubt if anyone will debate that Feral hogs get aggressive at times and a Bird dog is nowhere near built or trained to handle a Feral pig of any real size.

Talk with the guy and figure out why he did what he did. If he was really just blasting the pig in the face, Either talk with him and tell him not to pull that crap again or just don't invite him back to the property. As far as I'm concerned, he shot an invasive hog that has no buisness running wild in this country anyhow....no harm no foul