Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Free Range Sika deer

Old 11-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Free Range Sika deer

My uncle got a free ranging sika deer on our property in pecos county. It is at least 50 miles from the nearest place that is high fenced and might have these. I guess with all of the fires this summer he escaped. He was shot today around 5:00 p.m. at a feeder set up for pigs. It made my day that he got an exotic on his property and didn't have to pay a dime for it. Not a bad looking deer either has a decent set of horns for not being paid for. We have never seen this deer before on the property ever and if he hadn't of shot it we probably never would have seen it again. I think he is going to get it mounted. One heck of a story for him to tell. The only thing we usually see out there is dogs and hogs so this was a cool surprise. And he thinks there might have been another one with it but he isn't real sure. I just wish I could have seen it in person.
Here is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Free Range Sika deer-sitka-deer-killed-ranch-gaynor.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

it legally belonged to someone else. it's an escaped pet.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Escaped "pets" are legal game. Exotics can damage native species, once they've escaped they're open game without a season or bag limit.
-Jake
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Escaped "pets" are legal game. Exotics can damage native species, once they've escaped they're open game without a season or bag limit.
-Jake
Can you shoot someones escaped DOG ?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Yep.
-Jake
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Can't do that in NY, you'd get arrested, and loose your gun. Even if your defending yourself, you'd still loose your gun until the investigation is done.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I hate to tell you this mister blur but the sole reason for this animals existence in the great state of Texas was to be shot by whomever could fork over enough cash to get in the gate, but lucky us got the opportunity to harvest this fine animal without having to pay a fee. And as Bocajnala stated there is no bag or season limit on exotics year round. And get off of your whole shooting someones pet idea. That animal was just as wild as the hogs in the area. And thankfully in the great state of Texas we do not have the liberal laws that the state of New York has. I know if I have to shoot a dog in self defense down here the cops are not going to take my guns away they will more than likely reprimand the owner more so than me. Also it legally did not belong to anybody, it was a free ranging animal with no tags, brands, or markings of any sort to show ownership so that was an unfounded comment. And way to be a buzz kill.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I know it's a high fence hunt animal. Which is just another name for a pet. They aren't 100% wild, as they are used to human interaction. This one just happened to be on the other side of the fence.

Feel free to call NY a liberal sink hole. That explains it best.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Blur,

Even in New York you can shoot a dog if it is threatening your person or your property. Now you'd have to clearly be able to prove that the animal was a threat, but yes. A dog that is on your property threatening you or livestock can be shot with "no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing" Just clarifying the law for you there. They wouldn't take your gun.
As for tex's sika, There's a good chance it was pretty wild. Some of those ranches are huge. Also, he said 50 miles is the nearest ranch, which means this one's been out quite a while.
-Jake
Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the blur
it legally belonged to someone else. it's an escaped pet.
No actually, it's what's for dinner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.