HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Any truth? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/351306-any-truth.html)

Big Bullets 10-11-2011 09:11 AM

Any truth?

My understanding is that, there are places where they simply cannot get rid of the hogs and need help doing so.

Is this true?
Where?

I have a friend or two who would be willing to join me in cleaning house. No trapping; you cannot get rid of enough that way. We have the rifles and the skills but do not know where to go.

Any suggestions or, is the information I have seen on TV just bunk?

der Teufel 10-11-2011 09:50 AM

Yeah, the hogs are a problem -- but . . .

While hogs are a problem in many areas, I don't know of any place that is begging for people to come in and shoot them. Either the land owner is charging for the right to hunt, or they're not allowing strangers on the property.

My father-in-law falls into the latter category. He gets requests from hunters but always says "No". He doesn't want to take the chance that someone will leave trash, leave a gate open, shoot the livestock, damage something (crops, equipment, structures). Of course there's always the potential liability issue of someone getting hurt.

It's tough to find a free place to hunt, but talking to friends and relatives and letting them know you're interested is perhaps the best bet. If hunting is a necessity, most land owners would prefer to have someone they know on their property.

Oh, and trapping is by far the most effective method for removing hogs.
--

blugrass 10-13-2011 01:10 PM

Here in my region in Mo, we have what may be a unique problem with hogs. Some folks are releasing domestic hogs into the wild so as to have something to hunt year round. Adding to the problem, Its illegal to spotlight ANYTHING at night, and the hogs quickly become nocturnal.
Some hunters use horses and dogs to hunt, but they are probably the same ones releasing hogs.
I had a sow and 9 piglets at my game feeder one night, so imagine at least half of those piglets reproducing in a few months. Then those off spring reproducing.
Big problem brewing.

Big Bullets 10-13-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by blugrass (Post 3860750)
Here in my region in Mo, we have what may be a unique problem with hogs. Some folks are releasing domestic hogs into the wild so as to have something to hunt year round. Adding to the problem, Its illegal to spotlight ANYTHING at night, and the hogs quickly become nocturnal.
Some hunters use horses and dogs to hunt, but they are probably the same ones releasing hogs.
I had a sow and 9 piglets at my game feeder one night, so imagine at least half of those piglets reproducing in a few months. Then those off spring reproducing.
Big problem brewing.

I am sorry to say it but, you have some dumb neighbors. The hogs are getting out of hand as it is. Those people are putting more powder in a time bomb.

With people all over the country suffering property damage from the hogs, I would think that someone would pass laws making it illegal to turn lose or "lose" pigs. A nice hefty fine would work.

falcon 10-13-2011 07:25 PM

With people all over the country suffering property damage from the hogs, I would think that someone would pass laws making it illegal to turn lose or "lose" pigs. A nice hefty fine would work.

There are laws against releasing hogs into the wild in nearly every state. Those laws are not being enforced.

der Teufel 10-14-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3860912)
There are laws against releasing hogs into the wild in nearly every state. Those laws are not being enforced.

It's probably not a lack of desire to enforce the laws so much as it is difficult to catch the perpetrators. I think any game warden who could obtain evidence of such an act would not hesitate to make an arrest.

falcon 10-15-2011 03:45 AM

It's probably not a lack of desire to enforce the laws so much as it is difficult to catch the perpetrators.
Catching, selling and relocating wild hogs is big business. The so called "game ranches" pay good prices for wild hogs. Some of these "game ranches" also buy domestic hogs.

Short of mass poisoning; trapping is the most effective way of killing hogs. Yeah, you can shoot them from helicopters: The rental rate for a one hunter copter is about $600 per hour.

Biggest problem is with the state game commissions; they're afraid someone will poach a deer. Here in OK we are not allowed to hunt wild hogs at night: In theory, a farmer or rancher can get a permit from the game warden to hunt hogs at night but few bother. We are not allowed to hunt wild hogs with centerfire rifles in the WMAs outside of deer season. Then the game commission turns around and hires helicopters at $3,000-$,4000 per hour and shoots wild hogs in the WMAs.

Big Bullets 10-17-2011 10:25 AM

Someone in the OK government is not thinking. It's government, what else is new?

gregrn43 10-20-2011 10:55 PM

A couple of years ago the Arkansas game and fish opened the state up to hunting hogs at nite on private property. It worked pretty well for a little while until they got smart and now as soon as a light is turned on there gone. I dont have a night scope, wish I did.

falcon 10-21-2011 08:23 AM

It worked pretty well for a little while until they got smart and now as soon as a light is turned on there gone.

Hogs learn pretty fast. We sometimes hunt in TX at night. We have motion detector lights with magnets on the back that attach to the feeders. We don't see the same hogs twice under a feeder: Soon as the light comes on they're gone.

This week we've caught nine hogs on two farms. We caught three last night. Nearly everyone wants a hog: But they want a skinned hog. i'm tired of skinning hogs.