Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Discovery Channel "Hogs Gone Wild" exploitation of wild hogs >

Discovery Channel "Hogs Gone Wild" exploitation of wild hogs

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Discovery Channel "Hogs Gone Wild" exploitation of wild hogs

Old 07-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Spike

Default Discovery Channel "Hogs Gone Wild" exploitation of wild hogs

Fellow hunters, I have never considered myself a crusader but what I saw this evening made my blood boil. I would urge you to watch the "HGW" episode that refers to the "Alabama Slammer". A large, but by know means "giant" boar was dogged into a snare and then trussed up and dragged to be put on display in the name of entertainment. This animal was terrified. These are the same folks who portray us as "cruel" hunters. Below is the letter I wrote. If you agree please voice your opinion at http://corporate.discovery.com/conta...wer-relations/. Ironically the "Ethics Hotline" concerns only compliance on business activities.

First, I hunt wild hogs. That said, I have never seen anything more disgusting than the snaring and torture of the so called "Alabama Slammer". The boar was obviously terrified and in great distress in the name of entertainment. I was appalled that the host stated that the animal would be "humanely" destroyed. Dispatching the animal quickly with a bullet would have been humane. What I saw was torture rationalized because it is "illegal to shoot a wild pig at night in Alabama". That is a false statement.
According to the Alabama 2011-12 hunting regulations "Game animals may be hunted in open season during daylight hours only, except fox, feral swine, bobcat and coyote may be hunted at night". So in fact, this animal, was tortured in the name of entertainment. I would ask your staff if they would allow me to snare one of their pets, bind it, drag it and leave it lying terrified and panting all night to be "humanely" destroyed several hours later. Consider me an ex viewer with a mission to create many more like me.
Shame on you,

Brian C
My address and full name was included but deleted here since this is a public forum.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Spike

I think the show is a joke with all the morons trying to look cool and save the pigs to relocate them. Its tv for the sheeple of the world, who don't want to see what actually happens when you kill something. The show sucks in a bad way.

The fact of the matter is, we need to kill the pigs/hogs for the simple reason that they are causing hundreds of millions of dollars of damage to crops to the farmers. Some people kill them as fast as they can by what ever humane means necessary and some don't. I don't like seeing animals suffer from bad shots or other means of hunting. I live in TX and we have a huge problem. I have killed them with rifles and knives. Each time they were killed as fast as I could. To give you an idea, I could kill 50 a day and not dent the population at all. They are ready to breed in 3 months and 3 months after that they are giving birth to a litter of around 10-15 each time. So if you do the math you will see how bad our problem is here in TX. You cant kill them fast enough.

I am not going to write these folks based on what you said. "The boar was obviously terrified and in great distress in the name of entertainment. I was appalled that the host stated that the animal would be "humanely" destroyed." I agree with part of what you said, the entertainment part. However, I think I will pass on the rest. You may not be familiar with the problem down here in TX, but its really bad. We can hunt pigs year round with no bag limit because they are devastating to the farmers and are encroaching into the cities. Heck in some counties there is a 15 dollar bounty paid on each set of ears you bring.

The show is full of bad acting and information. That is the only thing I would bring up to the producers. I don't think I have seen one good hunt on the show.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't watch it. Hog hunters they're not.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Spike

I have hog hunted in Texas for 30 years and you couldn,t pay me to hand catch a hog of any size there tough.The rule around my place is to kill the sows first if there pregant thats just better.I shoot the biggest rifle I own because it might go through and kill another one. For everone we kill there haveing 2 litters while were getting set up.Not doing it now its too hot.102 today.Chuck
Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I won't watch it. Hog hunters they're not.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Spike

I've seen the show and I was unimpressed. Here in my state we kill hogs but try to do it humanely
Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Spike

I actually was impressed with the Discovery channel for having such a program. Not only do they portray hunting in a positive way, and as a essential wildlife management tool. They also show that sometimes other means besides hunting are necessary to control over population, which is the case here. IMO they make a good effort to distinguish difference between the two all the while gearing it towards the non-hunting population.

Hog tying a hog is not torture and to say they are terrified is humanizing animals, a favorite technique of the animal rights orgs. Sorry, I don’t buy into all that Walt Disney buffoonery……..thanks, but no thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Spike

I am not going to write these folks based on what you said. "The boar was obviously terrified and in great distress in the name of entertainment. I was appalled that the host stated that the animal would be "humanely" destroyed."
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I watched it for an hour. I have never seen a wild hog in my life and could tell it was a bunch of bs. Only thing more fake is the big foot hunters.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice
I actually was impressed with the Discovery channel for having such a program. Not only do they portray hunting in a positive way, and as a essential wildlife management tool. They also show that sometimes other means besides hunting are necessary to control over population, which is the case here. IMO they make a good effort to distinguish difference between the two all the while gearing it towards the non-hunting population.

Hog tying a hog is not torture and to say they are terrified is humanizing animals, a favorite technique of the animal rights orgs. Sorry, I don’t buy into all that Walt Disney buffoonery……..thanks, but no thanks.
To say they don't experience emotions like terror and happiness is entirely ignorant and about 1500 hundred years outdated

There is loads of peer-reviewed material that suggest otherwise that animals do experience these emotions.

People who don't have problems with an animal in distress are by definition borderline sociopaths.

I've hunted since I was 5, I understand "The way" of the woods, and doing what he just described is far from "The way".....

Has nothing to do with Walt Disney buffoonery and everything with realizing that man is not the only conscious being that inhabits this planet. Thus they should be treated like such, and when we harvest them, we should give them the death they deserve, a quick and honorable death in the habitat they lived their life.(which is far more humane than raising a pig in a pen and feeding it growth hormones and ****.)

Thanks but no thanks you keep your outdated way of thinking, and I'll keep on living life honorably and just.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.