Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Last Second Tips

Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Last Second Tips

My son and I are going on our first hog hunt He and I have both killed alot of deer with a bow but never even seen a hog. The place is over 1000 acres and fair chase. We were told we could bring our own stands if we wanted so I'm taking a climber just in case I want to use it.

I've checked all the shot placement pages and so on so I think i'm ok there. Anything some of you hog vet always/never do?

I've wanted to do this for a long time and having my son old enough to go is even better.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take quartering away shots with a bow. Put the broadhead low just behind the crook in the leg.

Good luck on your hog hunt.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Do not expect them to jump an arrow like a deer. They are like shooting a target. oh yeah something for the bugs while you are sitting still. Have fun and
Just in case you need it.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Got our thermacells in the truck now. One of the first things I pack for a trip up thru Thanksgiving. Good tip about jumping a string. My son lives about an hour and a half from me and he just called and said he would be here in a few mins. We're gona shoot the Muzzys one last time and pack the truck for a 4 AM start. We will be in camp til late Sunday but I'll bring back plenty of pics.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

good luck and we will love to see the pictures
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Just got home and unloaded. My son killed a 200 pound hog first evening in stand. 25 yard shot, slightly quartering away, Muzzy thru both lungs and top of heart and stuck in far shoulder on the way out an it STILL went 40 yards before crashing!

I held out for a bigger hog and hunted 2 full days. I shot mine about 3 P.M. Sunday. I hit him a little far back but he only went 100 yards before crashing. If there is anything tougher than a Russan Strain hog, I want more firepower than my bow!

My broadhead has the edges ruffed up and his has 1 bent blade. Says alot for good 'ol Muzzy's IMO.

I'm whipped tonight but I'll get pics uploaded tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

My son took his first evening. About 190-200 pounds. 25 yards and took out both lungs and top of heart. The Muzzy broke 2 ribs on way in, 1 on way out and lodged in outside shoulder. Had one slightly bent blade.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Mine was a little smaller but at 30 yards quartering hard away it busted 1 rib in 1 rib out. Exited just in front of far shoulder. Took out both lungs, liver, and clipped top of the heart.

I didn't take any pics of mine. We had a death in the family and I needed to come home. Planning on going again when it cools down. We were told they move much better in fall/winter months. I seen hogs over 250 but got busted trying to draw on a big red one. There was an old boar that had massive tusks and scars everywhere. I chased him for 5 hours. He only weighed 150 or so but would have been an awsome mount.

Last edited by sprintflyer; 07-18-2011 at 07:41 AM.