HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Cleaning your folding knives (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/345541-cleaning-your-folding-knives.html)

Kaianuanu 06-09-2011 08:00 PM

Cleaning your folding knives

Hi guys, im new to these forums. So, im down here in florida and i might be spending some time up in Oklahoma with my aunt and her family. They own an 80 acre ranch/pecan orchard and i'll probably be roaming their land catching tarantulas & scorpions as well as shooting nuisance squirrels and rabbits that chew up their pecans all the way up to big game, especially hogs. So I've only done wingshooting in jamaica with my mothers family so i havent field dressed a large animal before but am keen to learn. So I am going to bring along my trusty Buck 110 as my hunting knife and i was wondering how you guys clean out your folding knives after cleaning your kill.

Kaianuanu 06-10-2011 07:17 AM

bump.............

x-mountie 06-11-2011 05:21 AM

I put mine in the dishwasher.

country1 06-11-2011 05:56 AM

I will wipe all the blood off before I fold it and then wipe off the outside before it goes into the sheath. When I get home, it is washed with hot water that contains bleach and then dish washing soap. After that, I oil the metal parts and put it away. I will wash it again without the bleach before I go hunting.

Kaianuanu 06-11-2011 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
so neither of these methods will damage a knife like this?

halfbakedi420 06-11-2011 09:09 AM

if hot bleach water ruins your knife, take it back.
i usually use a high pressure nozzle on a water hose to get the fat out of the grooves, usin a light to make sure i got it all. when i get a chance, i let it go through the dishwasher. all my stuff is stainless, so i dont need any oil...if ya do use oil, make sure its edible, cause after all, you are runnin it through your food.

Kaianuanu 06-11-2011 09:15 AM

the blade on this is 420hc stainless steel, does that mean i dont HAVE to use oil

halfbakedi420 06-11-2011 09:24 AM

no oil needed...it should be stainless inside as well.

Kaianuanu 06-11-2011 10:04 AM

i bet it would also be smart to blow the all the moisture out with the air compressor after too

country1 06-12-2011 05:31 AM

I first get the knife as cleans as possible before I use the bleach and hot water. I do NOT use a high concentration of bleach with the hot water. It is then washed again with dishwashing soap and rinsed very well to remove any bleach.

Stainless WILL rust. It is stainless and not stainproof for a reason. SS has a resistance to rust, but given the right conditions stainless steel will rust. I will use a mineral or gun oil (make sure the gun oil has never been contaminated with your gun cleaning process). Before I plan to use it on meat, I will wash it again to remove any oil. If it did not get used, it will re-oil it again for storage.

The 110 has a wood handle, so I would not let it soak in water or put it in the dishwasher. I have never tried the dishwasher method, so I cannot comment on what affects it may have on a knife. If you have hard water, I would be more reluctant to use the dishwasher.