Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
shootin hogs from a helicopter >

shootin hogs from a helicopter

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

shootin hogs from a helicopter

Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mmmmm, free range pork is yummy !!

Originally Posted by buckyballs81
do feral hogs even taste any good? is it just like regular pork? i've never killed or had any wild hog to taste. would like to try it though.
I think it's the fat in commercial pork that gives it flavor. The fat in feral hogs is a lot less, and different in that their diet is different. To me, wild pork tastes a lot like beef. Not sirloin or T-bone, but more like a chuck roast or a round steak. It's fairly lean and redder than store bought pork. This stuff is *not* The Other White Meat.

I've made breakfast sausage out of it, in which the recipe called for a half-cup of cooking oil to be added per each pound of ground sausage. I've found sometimes that's not enough to keep the meat from burning in the pan. It is that lean!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ThunderChuck
read an article about texas letting residents hunt feral hogs from the skies. i think it's ridiculous.

http://bit.ly/lX5VgB

thoughts?
Pretty obvious you’re not a Texas landowner or you wouldn’t have posted this thread! Some people think that hogs are game animals like whitetail, Elk and so on, but they are nothing but a pesky critter that destroys a lot of land, they also happen to be very tasty. Hogs are trapped, hunted by any means possible.
This thread has the overtones of a PETA spy,or tree a huggers.Thar's hunters in these here woods~. hahahah
Old 08-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Spike

The helocopter hunt is the only way for some people to get a handle on the extreme over population of hogs on there ranch.Its very expensive. I know they sometimes let them lay probably most times they let them lay. I don't eat big South Texas boars and sometimes I will let a big sow lay.We got them to burn,there every where.Chuck
Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

i hunt ,trap and do whatever i can to try and keep hogs off the ranches that i work for, 4 hours in a helicopter can do more damage to hog population tha i could in a month. wish i had a copter--this is the best depredation i have seen on hogs
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

I watched a show a few weeks ago. I think they were in Australia. They were shooting them from a helicopter. The shooter was using a Mini 30 with a red dot on it. He was pretty effective. Looked like a lot of fun to me. Later in the show a different group dropped poison meat out of a small airplane. They flew over the area the next day and there were about 100 hogs laying bloated all over the place. They were going to do the same thing that night in another place. They want them gone down under too!

There are a few established herds here in Central New Yorkistan. I'm trying to find them so I can shoot a few myself!

NYH1!