HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   What is the most exotic or rare thing you've ever ate? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/342714-what-most-exotic-rare-thing-youve-ever-ate.html)

Murdy 07-27-2011 06:59 PM

If you asked people in some parts of the world what the most disgusting thing we (westerners) eat, it would be cheese -- pour milk from an animal in a container, add bacteria, let it set until it gets hard . . . even better let it age.
Personally, I've eaten snake, turtle, frog, octopus, abalone, just about anything else from the sea, racoon, beaver (both kinds), snails, blood sausage, tripe, and my Grandma used to make some kind of kidney stew (don't remember where the kidneys came from).
It just barely occured to me to mention crawfish and bullhead and squid.

nsdemit 08-05-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 3795104)
Shark, Aligator, Bison, rattlesnake, Catalina Ram. An old man I grew up with used to take all the critters I trapped and made BBQ out of them and offered them to me once and I had to pass. It had 'possum, skunk, muskrat, mink, coon, 'yote and fox in it.
He used to get the empty BBQ sauce jugs from my dads store and sell it for $5 a jusg back in the 70's and 80's. I knew what was in it and wanted no part of it!!!!!!!!

nice.

alligator, wild hog, dall sheep nuts, snake, turtle, all kinds of deer, moose, elk heart, crawfish, groundhog.

i can honestly say what the worst thing i ever ate was. it was in college and had a consistency like cottage cheese. it still makes me gag.

MZS 08-05-2011 05:21 PM

Whitefish livers, breaded and deep fried. Tastes exactly as you would expect - fishy tasting liver! I saw the cable show "Bizarre Foods" where he claimed they were good. BS!

Oh, and I ate a live alewife once on a dare. Didn't really taste like anything as I did not chew it.

36fan 02-06-2012 05:57 PM

coyote - we made tacos out of it.

Kanati 02-07-2012 08:00 AM

Had to drink the blood of my first deer at 14....

Thats about as rare as it got for me, put hog jowls in beans on occasion.

Do love lamb, gator, and buffalo. Rare for these parts lol atleast.

Bocajnala 02-09-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kanati (Post 3909466)
Had to drink the blood of my first deer at 14....

Thats about as rare as it got for me, put hog jowls in beans on occasion.

Do love lamb, gator, and buffalo. Rare for these parts lol atleast.

So that blood drinking stuff on the first kill happens for real? Interesting... I've had Porcupine, Rocky Mountain Oysters and that's about all for the weird stuff. Both tasted good to me.
-Jake

Wingbone 02-09-2012 03:08 PM

I've got a great recipe for sturgeon head soup. I've made it several times. My wife loves it. Limiting factor would be, of course, lack of sturgeon heads.