HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   What is the most exotic or rare thing you've ever ate? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/342714-what-most-exotic-rare-thing-youve-ever-ate.html)

debracoker 03-28-2011 09:40 PM

What is the most exotic or rare thing you've ever ate?

Like, I've seen pig snouts and feet, hog jowls, chow chow, chopped liver and all sorts of other things in stores and wondered who eats that stuff!

newton29 03-29-2011 04:22 PM

Wife puts hog jowls in beans. Strangest thing we like, according to visitors, is fried turkey testicles, or "turkey fries" as they are known locally. Strangest thing I have seen in the store is blood and tongue loaf. Someone said it's a Northern food. I can't get past the blood part.

ahunter55 03-31-2011 09:54 AM

My Brother-in-law eats Blood Soup. It's made from duck Blood & is a Polish dish..All his family eats it..

I've eaten Steaks, meat from Exotic deer but nothing strange & don't plan on it... I've killed 2 Sheep & gave that meat away-just don't like it...

Palladin8 03-31-2011 01:20 PM

I am married to a filipina woman need I say more? I have eaten many different animals from dog (while in Korea) to snake and pretty much everything in between. The worst thing I have eaten was Balut. It's a duck egg that that been incubated to within days of hatching then the egg is pickled. When you crack open the shell the duck is completely formed. The bones and beak crunch when you bite down. I was able to take one bite and keep it down. I couldn't finish the whole thing. My little neice loves them and could eat 3 or 4 of them at a time.

SecondChance 04-04-2011 06:21 PM

Shark, Aligator, Bison, rattlesnake, Catalina Ram. An old man I grew up with used to take all the critters I trapped and made BBQ out of them and offered them to me once and I had to pass. It had 'possum, skunk, muskrat, mink, coon, 'yote and fox in it.
He used to get the empty BBQ sauce jugs from my dads store and sell it for $5 a jug back in the 70's and 80's. I knew what was in it and wanted no part of it!!!!!!!!

hunt12ga 04-04-2011 06:41 PM

My dad and I used to eat all the muskrats we trapped. Fried 'rat, gravy, and butter beans is awfully hard to beat. That is unless you substitute rabbit for the muskrat...

rw

Yankee Doodle 04-10-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by debracoker (Post 3792488)
Like, I've seen pig snouts and feet, hog jowls, chow chow, chopped liver and all sorts of other things in stores and wondered who eats that stuff!

Fresh and home canned seal (in Nfld), whale (in Tokyo), Fugu (highly toxic if not properly prepared) also in Tokyo.
Bu, the most dangerous would be anything my mother-in-law cooks.

BikerRN 05-14-2011 06:50 AM

For the yanks among us, my most exotic would be 'roo.

That's kangaroo to you folks. It's quite good actually. I can't wait to have some more.

Biker

country1 05-14-2011 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Palladin8 (Post 3793467)
The worst thing I have eaten was Balut. It's a duck egg that that been incubated to within days of hatching then the egg is pickled. When you crack open the shell the duck is completely formed. The bones and beak crunch when you bite down. I was able to take one bite and keep it down. I couldn't finish the whole thing. My little neice loves them and could eat 3 or 4 of them at a time.

Yep, never tried it never will. How did you get past the smell?

jimpickens 05-30-2011 10:44 PM

Python, kangaroo, camel, and iguana