Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

NY hogs with SKS

Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY hogs with SKS

Got some hog sign and belly tracks, lots of trail cam pics around cortland and have a ten shot SKS i am planning on using. Can anyone recomend what kind of bullet to use with this gun. All I have now is copper solids. Will this be effective or should i just stick with a bolt action 300 WSM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Spike

Wouldn`t want to use a solid bullet .your hog would run off and you might not find it.corbon makes a good bullet called dpx but they are costly.a plain win.soft point should do the job.your 300mag would put the hog down for sure.good hunting! Ohio hambone
Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Spike

Just use a soft point and you will do fine. We use 223 ballistic tips and kill lots of hogs just shoot for the ear and down he will go.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

The SKS should be fine. I'd certainly recommend soft points. As for where to shoot, check this link:
http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbigg...toshoothog.htm
Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

so did u find any hogs im intrested to see how many are in ny now?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Spike

Does anyone have any new info on hogs in NY. Are they spreading or is the DEC keeping them in check?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

they are spreading. Go to homer, scott, spafford NY and you will have em
Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a clear Hog Anatomy pic.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/index...vigationmodule
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I shot one a while back with my Mini-30 (same bullet as the SKS 7.63x39) using PSP bullets. Did a nice job on the hog and it only took two step before falling over.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

In New Yorkistan, you CAN NOT use a semi automatic centerfire rifle or shotgun with a magazine capacity of more then 5 rounds (5+1 max) for any type of hunting. The DEC will jam you up BIG TIME.

Also, the DEC and the land owners and farmers in the northern Cortland County and southern Onondaga County area do all the complaining about how much damage the hogs are doing, yet neither are willing to help hunters hunt them. My friends and I called the DEC's Cortland office time and time again. All they tell us is how to legally hunt them, not where to hunt them.

They've actually said that hunting them will push them around more and they really don't want hunters to hunt them specifically. If you happen to come across them while hunting something else, they don't have a problem with you shooting them. It really seems as if they're trying to keep hunters from specifically hunting them. Once my back get better (had back surgery a few months ago) my son and I are going to try hunting them again. I guess they've spread quite a bit since we last hunted them.

NYH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.