Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

NY hogs with SKS

Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by New York Hunter

Also, the DEC and the land owners and farmers in the northern Cortland County and southern Onondaga County area do all the complaining about how much damage the hogs are doing, yet neither are willing to help hunters hunt them. My friends and I called the DEC's Cortland office time and time again. All they tell us is how to legally hunt them, not where to hunt them.

They've actually said that hunting them will push them around more and they really don't want hunters to hunt them specifically. If you happen to come across them while hunting something else, they don't have a problem with you shooting them. It really seems as if they're trying to keep hunters from specifically hunting them.

NYH!
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

it says "hunters with a small game licence may shoot and keep feral swine at anytime in any number....goal is to eradicate fral swine from the landscape."
Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted them up there a few times.We saw some sign but, couldn't seal the deal. I saw one earlier this spring while Morel mushroom hunting. I know they are spreading. The one I saw was about a 1 hour drive from Scott. The NYSDEC better get a move on if they ever hope to put them in check. From browsing around in public forums like this one it seems that alot of NY hunters want to chase em'! I'm all for year round hunting and some fine Pork in the freezer but, all in all I think the hogs will put a hurt on other wildlife if they get out of control!!! THWACK!!HOGBOY DOWN!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

As the others have said in regards to the use of PSP rounds will work just fine for the hog, it is only a hog, not a tank. I have taken several with my AK just for S&G's with steel core and they dropped DRT. Head shots only either facing directly towards me or broadside and take the eye/ear shot and its all over except the gravy!!!!!!!
Speaking of, I had wild porker last night in the crock pot from my Feb. hunt to OK. Meat, taters, carrots, gravy and then topped off with homade blackberry cobbler!!!!!!! Talk about two pigs in the same house!!!!!!! Good shootn and if in doubt, take the 300 and be done with it.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by New York Hunter
In New Yorkistan, you CAN NOT use a semi automatic centerfire rifle or shotgun with a magazine capacity of more then 5 rounds (5+1 max) for any type of hunting. The DEC will jam you up BIG TIME.
:
yes but there is no ' organized season'.. so wouldn't it be like using an SKS for woodchucks? same thing with them, I believe a small game license is needed for them as well. So can I not shoot woodchucks with my SKS? doubtfull
Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

According to this article on Yahoo.com, hogs are definitely present in central NY state. They don't seem to have populated too heavily yet, but you can bet they're working on it full time!

http://news.yahoo.com/wild-boars-invade-farms-attack-pets-152731899.html
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckclub
yes but there is no ' organized season'.. so wouldn't it be like using an SKS for woodchucks? same thing with them, I believe a small game license is needed for them as well. So can I not shoot woodchucks with my SKS? doubtfull
You can shoot woodchucks and just about anything else with your SKS. . . . .as long as you use a 5 round magazine.

From the DEC's web site-

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

General Hunting Regulations

Manner of taking

It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

• while in or on a motor vehicle (except by the holder of a Non Ambulatory Hunter Permit).
  • with the aid of a vehicle's lights.
  • on or from any public road.
  • with any firearm equipped with a silencer.
  • with any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm).
  • with a spear.
  • with a bow equipped with any mechanical device which is attached to the bow (other than the bowstring) for drawing, holding or releasing the bowstring, except for a hunter with a disability who is in possession of a Modified Longbow Authorization (compound bows are legal).
  • with a spear gun or crossbow except for a hunter with a disability who is in possession of a Modified Crossbow Permit.
  • with an arrow with an explosive head or shaft.
  • with any device designed or intended to deliver drugs to an animal.
  • with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, EXCEPT the following semi-automatic firearms:
    1. firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or
    2. firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
    3. autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Deer and Bear Hunting Regulations

Manner of Taking

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
  • Make, set or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.
It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

• A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.
  • An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.
  • A firearm using rimfire ammunition.
  • A shotgun of less than 20 gauge or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile.
  • A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less.
  • Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges.
  • Dogs.
  • Aircraft of any kind.
  • Bait.

Last edited by New York Hunter; 07-31-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

it says "hunters with a small game licence may shoot and keep feral swine at anytime in any number....goal is to eradicate fral swine from the landscape."
Yep, still can not use a semi auto centerfire rifle or shotgun that holds more then 5 rounds in the magazine. Look at information about!

Last edited by New York Hunter; 08-01-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not trying to be a downer. I'd just hate to see someone get jammed up by the DEC because they didn't know the rules and regs. I've run into some radical DEC officers and some cool ones. You never know which type you come across.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Spike

You can pick up a 5 round mag for the SKS. Plenty of hogs here in OK.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MyMonkey
You can pick up a 5 round mag for the SKS. Plenty of hogs here in OK.
Yep, they sure makes things tough on us here in New Yorkistan. I had to buy a 5 round mag. for my AR-15 to hunt with it. At the time it cost more then pre ban 30 round mags. I use to buy used but in good condition pre ban 30 round mags. from Bradley's Army/Navy Surplus Store just outside Fort Drum.