Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

How much meat?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default How much meat?

How much meat can you expect to take home from the butcher in pounds for say a 200 pound boar? And also how about other animals like deer and what kind of cuts do you get from deer, is it all ground?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

With a market weight of 250 pounds and yield of 73.6 percent, the typical hog will a produce a 184-pound carcass. The carcass will yield approximately 140 pounds of pork and 44 pounds of skin, fat, and bone.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

make deer/hog/squirl/rabbit sausage links awsome make sure u mix it for a while
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Spike

Thats a lotta meat Rebel Hog, thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Spike

I'm not to fond of venison burger myself. Lots of folks like it alot, I perfer to make jerky out of the scrapes. and Make good steaks out of the rest. Also DO NOT pass up the small hogs, they are the best eating. If they are small enough we put the whole piglet on the rotissary on the barbie, coat it with jalopaneo jelly, and let it cook away.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Spike

About 35% of total body weight.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

I was actually thinking the other day about how I wish I had a nearby place to hog hunt (I guess it's good they aren't around here) because I would love to go whack a youngin for the smoker. We have raised hogs in the past, and if we get a ruptured one we usually kill it young and throw whole hams on the grill. YUMMY! Of course I like shooting young deer too, but that's another subject completely..

rw
Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
I was actually thinking the other day about how I wish I had a nearby place to hog hunt (I guess it's good they aren't around here) because I would love to go whack a youngin for the smoker. We have raised hogs in the past, and if we get a ruptured one we usually kill it young and throw whole hams on the grill. YUMMY! Of course I like shooting young deer too, but that's another subject completely..

rw
You do have them here in il. Just go to Shawnee National and you will find them. My buddies turkey hunt there and kill several every year.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by treeman101
About 35% of total body weight.
That sounds more like it; I've never even got close to getting 40% on any wild game. I guess you can yield that much if you keep all the organs, including the head, skin, and bones.

I took two whitetail bucks this year to a processor this year for the very first time only because I cleaned and quartered two doe that morning, and I didn’t feel like quartering two more that evening. I didn’t get any more meat from them than I normally do when I process my own.