Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
what part of the aligator do you eat >

what part of the aligator do you eat

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

what part of the aligator do you eat

Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Spike

Question what part of the aligator do you eat

started alligator hunting/trapin whatever yall call it end of last year

and was wondering what parts you cut and eat i usually just do the tail all 4 legs and the jaw since i cut the head off and chum the rest out the the gators in the lake.

now i haven't gotten one that had any back meat and only had some blubbery stuff on there sides

is there a size at which they have a reasonable amount of meat on there back or sides??
Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Spike

Sounds like you're on track from what I've seen and heard....never done it myself.
We share alot of hunting/fishing grounds....just never got into wanting to get one.
What state are you hunting them? Do you do the baited hook method, like you see on Swamp People?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Spike

ya rope/chain to a tree and hang that over a branch lower it to like 5 inches above the water and use a 3+ foot wire leader 400lb test i beleive (sailfish quality) and hook a 2 day old chicken thy to it.

i beleive on swamp people they use 550 para cord which saposidly 550 lb test but i dont know how it stands up to teeth

im in florida on a guys land that said he had a few in his dikes but the biggest one so far was 7 foot.

i know the ones on swamp people look they have more meat in the body part but there geting up to 12 and 14 footers well at that size they better have somthing on em.

ima start lookin around to see where some good spots are down here.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Spike

Although I haven't hunted them....been around them PLENTY!!!!
Enough to where I do get amused watching Swamp People when they have a 6-7 footer hooked and the narrator says, ".....as he tries to control the 600 lb beast!!!!" and then you see that little skinny guy flip it over in the boat by himself.....600LBS, My ass!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Spike

Ive just always heard the eat the tail. They say the bigger gators get real chewy