Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
hog hunting from New Orleans? >

hog hunting from New Orleans?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog hunting from New Orleans?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default hog hunting from New Orleans?

It's looking like there is a good chance my wife and I will be spending awhile in Slidel, just north of New Orleans, and I would appreciate any info that any of you might have concerning hog hunting in the state of Louisiana------I can pull up the regulations myself, I'm asking for personal experience or knowledge of the area-------John
Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

John, I haven't hunted it myself but I do know from hearing everyone talk and reading there are a lot of hogs in the Honey Island swamp area which is just north of Slidell. I live about 25 miles east of Slidell. Also if you can find out who owns the land there is a spot on the south side of I-10 and just west of Hwy 11 (Hwy 11 runs through Slidell) that appears to be loaded with hogs. After Katrina I was driving over in that area and there were dead hogs hit all over I-10 and you could see a big path where they were running.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

SJ, thank you, that's exactly the type of information I was asking for--we are selling our place at the lake here in Indiana and it looks like we'll be moving down there to care for her invalid aunt for awhile and I'm sure we'll just end up staying in the Slidell area--I've not gotten a chance to hunt hogs yet, but am very much looking forward to it so thanks again for your input--John
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you feel like traveling a bit, the bottoms between LA and MS, like around Ferriday or east of Blackhawk hold a hog or two. I have a cousin who ran dogs for hogs around Bordelonville. Just make sure to get permission if you're going to hunt somebody's property.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Joe--sounds like I may be moving to hog heaven, pardon the pun, I'm very considerate and would always get permission or at least check with the local DNR people before hunting---
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

Pearl River turnaround right on the border of LA and MS. Awesome hog hunting there. Just make sure you have a good pair of snake boots if you are hunting LA or MS man. Plenty of Cottonmouths and other nasty snakes to get you into trouble. Was stationed down there in The Coast Guard and the LA Wildlife guys told me about that place. That is where they used to hunt off duty. Good Luck and let us know how you do.

Last edited by Otsdawa_Game_Hunter; 10-14-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Spike

Default coming to God's country

Originally Posted by jhilde
Thanks Joe--sounds like I may be moving to hog heaven, pardon the pun, I'm very considerate and would always get permission or at least check with the local DNR people before hunting---

jhilde, I live in Slidell and hunt several areas around....all within 10 miles and all public land. LOADS of hogs....
It is public land, so you have to plan accordingly and accept the challenges that comes with that, and also have a Plan B, C, D, etc.
The largest area is the Pearl River WMA aka...Honey Island Swamp. It is about 35, 000 acres.

There is so much info to share that will NOT fit in a forum thread. I'll be happy to fill you in. When I really started hunting it, there's no telling how much time and effort I have wasted in the wrong areas, doing the wrong things.....that I didn't realize. I did not have someone to steer me in the right direction, initially.
I'm no guide, but would be glad to get you started with some local info.
When are you getting down here??
Do you have a Garmin handheld GPS??
Are you bringing a boat??
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Spike

BTW, I just saw your post, or I would have responded much earlier....
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

bt4264--Terrific, haven't even gotten down there and already have a guide----first of all, we are in the process of getting our place sold here on the lake so it could be another few months yet. A place on a lake shows much better in spring and summer, so worst case would be first of the year or early spring. We will keep in touch and I'll let you know. No, I don't have a GPS, up here in the farmland, I knew where I was--sounds like I'm in for some excitement and if we need a boat, I'll get one. I'm fully aware of the snake danger and will come prepared---glad you saw this thread---------------John
Old 10-27-2010, 03:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jhilde
bt4264--Terrific, haven't even gotten down there and already have a guide----first of all, we are in the process of getting our place sold here on the lake so it could be another few months yet. A place on a lake shows much better in spring and summer, so worst case would be first of the year or early spring. We will keep in touch and I'll let you know. No, I don't have a GPS, up here in the farmland, I knew where I was--sounds like I'm in for some excitement and if we need a boat, I'll get one. I'm fully aware of the snake danger and will come prepared---glad you saw this thread---------------John
Got your email. Thanks.
The latest you can hunt hogs on public land is Feb 28.
Regardless, I'm gonna put some stuff together for you using my maps and Google Earth, that's why I asked about the GPS. I could send you some routes/waypoints, etc.
A boat is not necessary, but it does make alot of territory available for you.
Snakes are not THAT big a deal.....then again, maybe I'm just used to the swamp. Common sense is the biggest thing you need to keep in your tool box. I don't even own a pair of snake boots or chaps...never been bit. Alot of guys do have him though. They are just like anywhere else, just a few more... and they can get big.
I'll put some stuff together and email it to you....let me know as it gets closer to you getting down here.
You mentioned having a guide.....I've never hunted with a guide. Hell, you may be a step ahead of me by the time you get down here....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.