Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Best Hog Gun?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Hog Gun?

Guys,

Can you take a look at my Bow and Rifle set up on my signature and tell me if this will do the job for hogs? Just moved to SE Georgia and i'm gonna try my luck on some hogs this season. I was thinking of removing the scope on the rifle and either shooting open sights or throwing a red dot on her. Look awful thick down here is why I might take the scope off. Also have a Mossberg 835 and was wondering if shotgun with either buck or slug would be better? Total newbie to hunting hogs so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mack
Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO -

Your bow & rifle look fine to me, but if you're going to use the shotgun don't bother with buckshot. Slugs are the way to go with hogs.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

I think for hogs I would go with a fixed blade BH rather than an expandable. That shield can be very thick and if you hit it, an expandable may not give you the best penetration.

Other than that, you have more than enough to put some bacon on the ground.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I just picked up a set of G5 Montec CS 100 grain broadheads.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

drop the weight of your 7-08 bullets unless you want a pencil hole in and out.
go with a 139 gr btsp
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'd definitely go with open/iron sites or the like. i use ghost rings. quick acquisition for tracking a moving hog through heavy brush.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your bow is fine and keep the scope on the rifle I would hate to get a chance at a long shot and have to go through the hassle of remounting the scope. Leave the magnification on 3 in the thick stuff and you'll do fine.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Spike

I've hunted a few hogs down south, the bow setup is good. Montec's should work. Also could recommend Some Muzzy or Magnus, out of the two Magnus because a two-blade typically penetrates deeper, all things equal.
I like the rifle, keep the scope, most important is that you feel comfortable with it. I love 7mm and carry my 7-08 everywhere, a 140gr partition or accubond may be a little better for hogs though, as zrexpilot stated.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys and I will let you know how I make out in a few weeks. Hopefully I will have some pictures to post.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyoEELl007Q

camo savage 17hmr is what i'm using. haven't got on em yet, but i know it will do the job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.