Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Son's Corsican Mount Pic

Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. It was fun. All hunting trips with my boy are fun. Just the drive out or waking up early that morning are fun. My dad goes too so it's three generations.

The November prior, he took his first whitetail buck in archery. We hunt in the big woods and deer sightings aren't exactly that high to begin with. Then trying to get a 7 year old within 20 yards of a whitetail buck.....it's tough. But we pulled it off.

The ram hunt was suppose to be a back-up if he didn't get a deer. I wanted him to get something. When I got the buck, I decided what the heck - let's still go on the ram hunt. We'd be bored stiff with cabin fever by February and needed something to do.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great ram and a really nice looking mount.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. Our taxi does really nice work. We're always very pleased.

The ram looks bigger than I thought it was going to. It wasn't one of those gold or silver rams. Or whatever the ranking is for exotics. But my boy just wanted to get a decent ram and didn't care how big it was. He just wanted to get one.

With all the snow we had, the trip was actually in question. But we went anyway. He had to trudge his way through snow that was up to his waste. I'm glad the conditions were so harsh. I think the hunt may have been too easy if conditions were perfect. The fact that he had to be tired and miserable means he had to put forth effort to get results. That's what hunting and life are all about.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a couple pictures from the trip. One with me and one with my dad. I know, I look goofy in that picture.
Attached Thumbnails Son's Corsican Mount Pic-ram-1-post.jpg   Son's Corsican Mount Pic-ram-2-post.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the Gold and Silver medal hype is way over rated in many cases. Your son's ram and the conditons he took it in makes it a trophy in any book. I like photos of hunts in the snow. Nice job.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. He was pumped just to get one. His buck was a spike and it's the proudest hunting moment of my life.

We got the spike mounted, too. We gotta stop
Attached Thumbnails Son's Corsican Mount Pic-danny-buck-mountains.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that is an awesome looking wall. Great place for mounts.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I think there are about 25 mounts in the house. Most are from Pennsylvania. They range from the 1970s to the ram from February.

We need to cut down on our taxidermy. Only a moose, a coyote or a buck bigger than one we already have mounted will qualify.

It also helps that our taxi let's us pay in installments. $100, $100 there over the course of the year. And my dad split my son's two mounts. He was proud as could be of the little man.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree! Great looking mounts!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

I agree they're the poor man's Dall,Big horn etc hunt. There are quite of few places here in Ok. and Tx. where hunt for exotics is a workout. You'll get you quarry but you'll have to earn it being ranch covers 1200 acres or more. Tx has some terriffic Audad and N.M. has Oryx that are free range. N.M. ticks me off some though for a non redident it will run almost as much as an African hunt with the price of pulling a tag if you're so lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.