Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Bow or Gun for first hog hunt? >

Bow or Gun for first hog hunt?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Bow or Gun for first hog hunt?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

Default Bow or Gun for first hog hunt?

The old lady got me a hunt for my wedding present not sure what to take love to shoot one with the old hoyt...... But maybe a second shot with the '06 might be better? I might just take both i dont know yet. Still im excited
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I only bow hunt so for me it's easy to say a bow, but you might want to take both and see what is the best options. If you hunt over a feeder and see that you can get a bow shot, I'd take the bow.

Just make sure not to cut yourself short and get that first one under your belt.

I have have been using a bow since 1966 and just can't bring myself to gun hunt, for any reason.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Being mainly a bowhunter, I would say bow. My 16 year old daughter scored her first bow kill on a boar hunt a few weeks ago, and she was thrilled! Something about being upclose and personal that makes it so much more fun.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first and so far only, sow was with rifle. I haven't gone hunting in about going on 7 years due to my father dying, and I wasn't ready until 5 years later since he and I usually went out hunting together, given few times i've gone on my own. Last year, I wasn't able to afford it. This year, well, at the moment I am looking for work but I do hope I can get back into hunting this year or the next year. But, I plan on eventually getting a hog with the bow
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Spike

I bowhunt for deer, but got both my hogs with the gun. I would like to get one with my bow, but I want to up my weight a little bit.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Been hunting over 50 years and never Bow hunted!

Been thinking of a cross bow lately!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Spike

Smile

bow. so much fun. i have never used a gun on a hog but it would probably great also. if you chose the bow just learn about shot placement they are tough to kill
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

I suppose that's really a personal question. If I had to depend upon my (nonexistent) skills with a bow to survive, I'd had starved years ago. Part of the fun of hunting is actually getting something, so I carry a rifle. It improves my odds about ten thousand percent. Where I hunt the territory isn't exactly overrun with hogs, I've managed to shoot four in each of the past two years, despite making over twenty hunting trips each year. If I were using a bow, and if I were 'reasonably' good with it, I'd have gotten maybe two at best. Heck, if I couldn't use a rifle I'd have to find something else to do.

But in the end it's, what do YOU want to do?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by The Rev View Post
I only bow hunt so for me it's easy to say a bow, but you might want to take both and see what is the best options. If you hunt over a feeder and see that you can get a bow shot, I'd take the bow.

Just make sure not to cut yourself short and get that first one under your belt.

I have have been using a bow since 1966 and just can't bring myself to gun hunt, for any reason.
Because Bowhunting is more challenging and more rewarding and that's why I don't gun hunt much anymore unless if I get hold of a mates .22 for a little while

Last edited by BowHuntingAustralia; 03-14-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Spike

I have decided on my bow and ijust got 3 new razor sharp muzzy 100 gr phantoms... Im ready i just need to pick a day now.