Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

243 & hogs

Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Ive killed 1, 2, 3, 4, and even 5 out of the same bunch starting with a 80 yard standing still shot and mopping the rest up on the run out to 400 or til i cant see em, with a .270 win and plowed em all. Bullet size is no replacement for proper shot placement. A .270 or 7 mm in capable hands is more than enough gun for anything out to 400 or 500 yards. Everyone is hung on the .30 caliber lately and frankly .30 cals are overrated. I can get the same job done with less recoil. Any outfitter that tells you you need a .30 cal to kill pigs is sadly mistaken.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

zrexpilot - Maybe in another 25 years you'll be using a .308? Experience learns you. I'm glad you put down the .243 it was the right choice in my opinion and you obviously felt a need for something bigger for some reason?

There is nothing unethical about shooting running animals if you have the skills to make the shot and I cannot think of a better animal to learn shooting skills on than a feral hog. I don't spray and pray, I hone my skills and abilities. As a result I hang hogs and eat them when I want and not just when they let me- that is what hunting is about. It is not target practice out there and no one should expect an animal to give them the perfect shot from a bench every time.

I thought this thread was about whether or not to use a .243 or a 30 cal. ? Which is the better choice? I say the .30 although I know there are at least 12 other cartridges between here and there that will work. So what?- that's not the question. I've done over 15 years of hunting with a .270 and it is an impressive caliber, I like it very much and I too have been very successful with it. But as I get older and more experienced I find that the .30 caliber bullet simply has done a better job for me and I have more confidence in its ability.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

actually my go to gun is my .22 hornet then my bow and when I am lazy or want to reach out and touch them its the 7-08.
The only reason I went to a 7-08 was I wanted a different flavor, nothing wrong with the .243 just wanted change, not the obama type.
Plus I had started handloading and the 120gr loads for the 7mm -08 sold me. A short action thats flatter than a 25-06. Pretty cool.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

This argument or ones like it will rage on for as long as we have guns. If it makes you happy to kill pigs then kill pigs be it with a .17 hmr or a 458 lott i reckon it dont matter that much. Just dont spread the hype that you need a monster bullet to kill em because its just not rue.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Spike

Agreed...
But it pisses me off when someone says that I lack basic hunting skills because I don't sit in a blind over a feeder shooting hogs in the head with a .22 hornet. That's not hunting, it's harvesting. The two shouldn't be confused. And there is nothing monster about a .30 cal bullet in a reasonable cartridge like the .30-.30, .308, .30-.06, .300 savage etc. among others. They all work extremely well and are IMHO the best choice under all conceivable conditions. In many cases with the proper bullet selection they will actually cause less damage to meat than 7mm and .277 bullets even when they hit bone. I'm not sure why because I'm not a physicist, but I think that it has to do with sectional density? Anyway in my experience they deflect less, punch straight through and if keep under 2900 fps or so do minimal damage especially at short ranges or where bone is incountered-- provided your using a bullet designed for cxp3 game. The real farce on this thread is that you have to have a bullet going over 3000 fps to have a real hunting gun and that is BS. What else do you suckers want to buy? You've been been had by them! Where is your check?

Last edited by cataraft; 04-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cataraft
Agreed...

In many cases with the proper bullet selection they will actually cause less damage to meat than 7mm and .277 bullets even when they hit bone. I'm not sure why because I'm not a physicist, but I think that it has to do with sectional density?
A 100 gr. .243 has greater sectional density than a 150 gr. .308.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cataraft
Agreed...
But it pisses me off when someone says that I lack basic hunting skills because I don't sit in a blind over a feeder shooting hogs in the head with a .22 hornet. That's not hunting, it's harvesting. The two shouldn't be confused. And there is nothing monster about a .30 cal bullet in a reasonable cartridge like the .30-.30, .308, .30-.06, .300 savage etc. among others. They all work extremely well and are IMHO the best choice under all conceivable conditions. In many cases with the proper bullet selection they will actually cause less damage to meat than 7mm and .277 bullets even when they hit bone. I'm not sure why because I'm not a physicist, but I think that it has to do with sectional density? Anyway in my experience they deflect less, punch straight through and if keep under 2900 fps or so do minimal damage especially at short ranges or where bone is incountered-- provided your using a bullet designed for cxp3 game. The real farce on this thread is that you have to have a bullet going over 3000 fps to have a real hunting gun and that is BS. What else do you suckers want to buy? You've been been had by them! Where is your check?

well it pisses me off when someone says a .243 is to small much less a.270 for hunting hogs and that it requires multiple shots to bring one down.

and another thing you make no sense at at all. first you say a 7mm or .270 arent adequate to bring down hogs and then go on to say a .30 causes less damage. WTF ?
So a .30 causes less damage than a .270 but some how magically brings them down quicker. Pfffffft!!!!! ya ok
On that theory you should use a .22LR it causes less damage then a .30, so it will bring them down even quicker

sectional density

100 gr .243-------.242
130gr .277--------.242
139gr 7mm-------.246
150gr 30-30------.226
165gr .308--------.248
150gr .277---------.279
162gr 7mm-------.287

Take a 7-08 load it with a 162 gr at 2700 fps and will punch through a hog from end to end

Last edited by zrexpilot; 04-15-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default The Bullet Wars Continue . . .

Ah, what's better? A small fast bullet, a large heavy bullet? Is shot placement king? What about long shots or shots at a moving target? I used to race sports cars, and winter was called "silly season" because the racing was over, and everyone just expressed opinions on everything past, present, and future. I love it !!

Me, I carry a .30 caliber rifle because:

My buddy has one, and we can share reloading efforts and expenses
It's a nice, all-around rifle that's good for any game in the lower 48.
I'm not a very good shot, so I need all the killing power I can carry.
Lots of bullet choices.
I can buy ammo anywhere. Well, usually. The past year or so has been weird, but I'm reloading anyway.

I have buddies with other calibers though, and we're still friends.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Spike

Default Gimme a break

I have seen just about every caliber used at one time or another. From .45ACP up to .338 Win Mag. It's not the gun, it's the shooter.

Above is from my previous post. I still think that my post is correct. These are not armor plated super beasts.
Use whatever you can shoot well, and enjoy the eating that will follow. I have seen caribou taken with a .243 at over 200 yards, and they are certainly larger than 90% of any boar that you are likely to see.
I just rembered that 3 years ago my son took a boar with a .44 Spl. at about 65 yards.
1 shot, DRT.
Nuff said
Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Spike

I agree you can kill a hog with virtually anything. No body has called hogs armor plated super beasts. Nobody has said you need a monster caliber. Yes, any caliber bullet will kill a hog or any other living thing when it hits it in right spot. Those are just of the laws of basic biology. This pic came off another forum. Check it it out and make your own decision what you want to use. It's a good picture of a shield from a hog in Northern California. There is nothing like this on a caribou or even an elk and it shows how thick and tough a boar can be. A .243 will work on hogs. But is it the best choice for a first hunt on a paid trip? Is it the best all around caliber? Would it be a responsible recommendation? I think not. Will it work? Yes, when placed in the right spot anything will work.
Attached Thumbnails 243 & hogs-shield1-1-.jpg  

Last edited by cataraft; 04-18-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.