Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Any other hog dog hunters out there? >

Any other hog dog hunters out there?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Any other hog dog hunters out there?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Any other hog dog hunters out there?

Ive seen alot of still hunting posts but few dog hunters. Are there any out there?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have two Catahoulas that I want to use on hogs. I'm getting them started over spring break, they are only a little over 6 months old but they are already showing signs of being good bay dogs.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Have they seen a hog yet?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it before and it was a rush but it's just not my preferred way to hunt hog. I like to be the one hunting. When you use dogs they're the ones doing the hunting. But to each their own. Just my opinion.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Tobe_B
I have two Catahoulas that I want to use on hogs. I'm getting them started over spring break, they are only a little over 6 months old but they are already showing signs of being good bay dogs.
Have had Catahoulas since 1963.........In 2000 I gave the last two to my hunting partner of 37 years of running after Dogs & Hogs.........He still raises, trains, and hunts with them........He's 80 years old.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Mans probly forgotten more about hog dogs than most of us will ever learn, there are only a handful of men like that in the U.s anymore
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently hooked up with a dog man here in Mo.I have hunted with him 3 times and have had a blast all 3 times.I've hunted behind some awesome dogs for rabbits and birds but I have never seen heart like them hog dogs(Catahoulas)I mean there was a hunt last week and they had cornered a big hog in a down brush pile and about the time we got there the fight commenced.I mean it commenced with a quickness there was dogs literally flying out of the brush pile(cause the hog was pitching them out)and they would no sooner hit the ground and they would haul hiney right back into the brush pile it was truly the dangdest thing I had ever seen.We killed 2 this weekend off of the same dogs and if I could figure out how to insert pictures in these posts I would post pictures of this weekends hogs I wish I had remembered that I was carrying a digital camera at the fight I talked about above but I forgot all about it in all the excitement.Anyhow I doubt I will hunt hogs any other way from now on.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Mans probly forgotten more about hog dogs than most of us will ever learn, there are only a handful of men like that in the U.s anymore
He's in Palm River, Fl..........south of Brandon, Fl...............any time you will like to meet him, send me a PM..

First Catahoula pups we started with was shipped from Arkansas in 1964........At one time we had over 20 Catahoula Leopard hog dogs...........He still sells trained young dogs..

BTW......I'm 70 years old!

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 02-08-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

Well rebel hog that makes me just a pup at the ripe old age of 20! But I was brought into it by older men, great uncles and others. I try to do little talkin and much listening around those old timers. Dog hunters are startin to go a direction I dont like a whole lot in florida and the older men that know what their doin aint around as much anymore.
And korak........ your right man its the ONLY! way to hunt hogs, anybody that says dog hunters are lazy can come get ahold of a nasty rooter 3 or 4 miles into the swamp with me anytime they want, its lightnin in a bottle and I been addicted to it my whole life
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Spike

sorry for the late post, but I figured I'm a dog hunter too so I'd chime in. Nothing better that hearing a good bay, then sending in the catch dog to do his thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.