Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Any other hog dog hunters out there? >

Any other hog dog hunters out there?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Any other hog dog hunters out there?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Thinks for the advice podunk. I would much rather haul around a .22 mag over a .44 mag or one of those other big bore lever guns. And the ammo would be a ton cheaper to shoot too.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Yes sir, plus its a multi purpose round. You can hunt squirrels and rabbits or in your neck of the woods gray fox and civet cats with solid points.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

another plus is that you can still hunt your gun broke dogs with somebody that has a catch dog. It doesn't always work the other way around. most of my dogs don't like gunshots much, they just haven't done it that way, so if my catch dogs are down I'm in a pickle as far as hunting. I'm breaking a couple of young dogs to guns to remedy that. I prefer catch dogs to shooting myself, but it would be nice to at least have the option.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

My ultimate goal is to be able to get a catch dog after I get out of college and then start using knives. That was the first way that I ever killed a pig while hunting with dogs, but as I am a college student I can only afford so much at a time.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

I dont really like to kill em any more unless I have customers im testin loads or somebody needs the meat. Usually i just put em in the pen for awhile until somebody wants one. As far as gun breaking dogs catch, it doesnt usually take a whole lot. The first year i guided my dogs werent trained to come out so it was a handful. By the end of the first week one of my old timers was picking up on the idea and now i have two or three that will do it.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Spike

biggest problem I'm having to overcome with that is that a guy that was hunting dove on the property adjacent to mine shot up my kennels this past dove season. so now some of the dogs hear a shot and think they're gonna get peppered again. I think it's just gonna take some time and consistency to get it going.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

I used to blow off a 20 gauge to stop barkers at night. It doesnt seem to affect most of my dogs. Sometimes for whatever reason a dog doesnt like loud noises i.e thunder, cars backfiring, hammmering or gunshots. My mom has an APBT that is out of our old line. Hes fearless on a hog or whatever but hell run and hide at the first loud noise. A blank pistol helped the slower learners I had. Also work with giving em voice commands to "back up" or "come outta there". My old man dog now when I tell em to "come outta there" run straight to my feet until the shot then hell go straight back to the hog. Its not too hard and ive been lucky with smart dogs that make me look good.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Spike

Not to hijack your post, but it's kind of on topic. I am trying to learn the ropes of hog hunting, be it with dogs or without. I live in Clermont, FL, so if anyone wants someone to trail along with them and be a teacher, I am a willing student.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Spike

Default Hog Dog Puppies

I have 11 pups for sale. They are Plot Hound/BMC crossed with Redbone/BMC. Mother is third generation hog dog and will trail, bay, and catch. The father is a first generation hog dog and will also trail, bay, and catch. Both parents listen great to commands. The puppies were born on March 14th, 2012. They will be ready for the taking in just a few weeks. Asking $100 a piece. If interested email me at [email protected]
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Spike

Did anyone get a Quota hog dog hunts? I got Lake Pan. Hopefully it's a good place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.